The Student Room Group

OCR AS Physics Practical Methods

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've gone through a resource posted on here and picked out all the mark scheme answers to questions on experiments from previous OCR questions. Thought it'd help
Now that I think of it, there's only 1 experiment that I think would be worth adding onto the list which is investigating collisions.

You would set up your ramp, video analysis device (a video recorder and software that enables you to view the footage of the video frame by frame) and ruler beneath your ramp as it flattens off against a wall. You would record, let go of the trolley and keep recording until the trolley reaches the bottom of the ramp, collides with the wall and comes to rest. Then measure the mass of the trolley. Stop recording and view the recording frame by frame, picking out a point of reference on the ruler and counting the number of frames taken by the trolley to pass that point. You can work out time using:

Time= Number of frames taken * (1/ frame rate of camera)

Using the calculated time and the measured length, you can work out the velocity of the toy car using:

Velocity = Length/ time

Using this procedure, you can see how the velocity of the trolley varies before and after colliding with the wall.
youngs double slit experiment?????????
i really need to understand it
Original post by wasdfhghj
youngs double slit experiment?????????
i really need to understand it

Shine a monochromatic (single wavelength) coherent light source through a single gap, to diffract it slightly on to the 2 double slits. The light then diffracts through these slits, which act like point sources giving off waves. Then you have maxima/minima due to path difference from the 2 sources.
Reply 25
Anyone feel free to contribute
Original post by voltz
Young Modulus:

1) Using a micrometer, measure the diameter of the wire in several places and find an average (this is done to find the cross sectional area)

2) Clamp the wire down horizontally, with it hanging over a pulley on one side, with a ruler reading 0cm at the clamp.

3) Using the ruler (metre ruler), mark the wire at a specific place and read the initial length.

3) Add a mass of known weight (1N or 2N), and then measure the length again from the clamp to where the marker on the wire has now moved. You can find the extension by doing new length - original.

4) Repeat this, with increasing the weight hanging over the end of the wire.

5) You can use this data to find the stress and strain using the formulas, and then plot a graph of stress against strain. The gradient of this line is equal to the Young Modulus -- but only the LINEAR section of the line of best fit.

Feel free to contribute and ask questions

Read this right before the exam loool cheers :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by JAFF2400
Read this right before the exam loool cheers :smile:

Glad it helped, how did you find the paper?
Original post by voltz
Glad it helped, how did you find the paper?

it was alright, found it easy but sadly I ran out of time
Reply 29
Original post by JAFF2400
it was alright, found it easy but sadly I ran out of time

Dont worry, if you found it easy youll pick up a lot of marks.

I found pretty well too, im thinking the grade boundaries will be higher than usual, what do you think?
Original post by voltz
Dont worry, if you found it easy youll pick up a lot of marks.

I found pretty well too, im thinking the grade boundaries will be higher than usual, what do you think?

Yeah that was my concern many people found it easy so the grade boundaries will be high

Quick Reply

Latest