The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Wow..I can never remember what I wrote in exams.
Well a few answers, but not many lol.
Reply 41
:frown: Oh bum! Nevermind, but there goes my perfect score!!

For the ideas and evidence question I wrote about the expenses of constructing wind turbines and dams and the cost of their maintenance. I mentioned that relying on solar, wind and water power alone was unreliable and often inefficeint as they are climate dependant etc. Also mentioned about damage to the environment and stuff. Wrote about half a page and it was only two marks. I have a good mind to complain about the tiny writing space the provide us with :rolleyes:

With Galileo I suggested that both the earth and the stars could be moving or that the Stars were actually moving. I'm sure I babbled another point out that made sense at the time.
Reply 42
I wrote that in some places in the world theres not always a lot of wind/sun so it wouldnt be efficient everywhere.
And that for energy from waves yeah, theres not many locations which are suitbale for it.

Or something along those lines.
Reply 43
oh yeh and what did u lot get 4 the ideas and evidence in science questions. the one about using the sun, wind and moving sea as electricity and the one about galileo with the moving stars?'

sun, wind and sea for power question

i put that not all countries can afford technology and not all areas get sufficient wind, sea or sun to proivde for the local population, especiallly when population is high and dense

Galileo possible explanations

1) red shift
2)the earths rotation and orbit

are these good ones?

what is meant by background radiation?

radiation coming from natural elements.

correct?

2 sources of background radiation?

1)rocks in earth
2)the sun

correct?

uses of radiation?

1)alpha - sterilization
2) beta - testing paper thickness
3)gamma - industrial strength testing

correct?
needanamp

Galileo possible explanations

1) red shift
2)the earths rotation and orbit

are these good ones?

correct?

1)rocks in earth
2)the sun

correct?

uses of radiation?

1)alpha - sterilization
2) beta - testing paper thickness
3)gamma - industrial strength testing

correct?

ur galileo answer is right , and so is uses of radiation i think...i put alpha - smoke alarm, beta - paper thickness gauge and gamma - treatment of cancer. oh n shoot i think made a mistake on the question about sources of radiation. it gave u 2 spaces right? so i wrote soil & rock in one space and air in the other (dont ask me why i put air, my hed just went blank in the exam lol) but do u think i's still get 2 marks seeing tht i put rock and soil, but in the same space?
Reply 45
i put that not all countries can afford technology and not all areas get sufficient wind, sea or sun to proivde for the local population, especiallly when population is high and dense

correct?

1)rocks in earth
2)the sun

I put rocks and soil for one, cosmic rays for the other. Do you do Geography by any chance? You used quite a bit of Geographical terminology so I was just wondering :smile:
Reply 46
I was quite pleased with this exam :smile: Managed to blag my way through alot if it successfully :biggrin: I also didn't know the uses of Alpha and Beta particles but guessed and got beta right :P And I was thrilled by the question about stars since last night I watched a documentary on them haha!

Not a bad Set of papers in all! :biggrin: Definetley found Chem the hardest...but it was still, in my opinion, quite easy :smile:
Reply 47
yeah i do geography... came in handy in a few other exams too lol!
Reply 48
yoursdude
that was pretty hard man...I did the formation of star and stuff.. but the half life thing was damn hard. At first i thought i messed it up completely but then when i came out of exam hall... many answers turned out to be correct and every one said they did really bad so ....yeah..

half life!?!?! wtf
is this not a double award thread?
Reply 49
ben_walker446
I was quite pleased with this exam :smile: Managed to blag my way through alot if it successfully :biggrin: I also didn't know the uses of Alpha and Beta particles but guessed and got beta right :P And I was thrilled by the question about stars since last night I watched a documentary on them haha!

Not a bad Set of papers in all! :biggrin: Definetley found Chem the hardest...but it was still, in my opinion, quite easy :smile:

woaaahhh no i thought chem was pisssssss lol
biology was definately the hardest for me!
Reply 50
<liverpoolfc>
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but im afraid thats the wrong answer. i did the same mistake, only realised until after the exam :mad: For this charge question it said "8 minutes" so u had 2 convert it into seconds making it 480. and the answer that u should have had was something along the lines of 8.3A. But hopefully you'll get at least 1 or 2 marks outa the 3 for ur formula and stuff :smile:

oh yeh and what did u lot get 4 the ideas and evidence in science questions. the one about using the sun, wind and moving sea as electricity and the one about galileo with the moving stars

Damn! I even did that, and then crossed it out because the number looked ugly!

Oh well. I found the Physics harder than the Chemistry and Biology, but I don't think I've done too bad considering that most of the work I did this year was self-taught (*strokes revision guide*); my teacher... couldn't teach.
jazzzy
half life!?!?! wtf
is this not a double award thread?

don't worry i think he's doing a different spec. be assured lol ther did not come a half life question :smile:
Reply 52
Oh god, for the beta question I got stuck!
I knew alpha= smoke alarms, gamma=treating cancer.

For beta, I remember watching casualty and the doctor saying:
"HERE ARE SOME BETA BLOCKERS"

They're some form of medicine..i think :eek:!

+You know that 4 mark question abotu the graph, was that terminal speed?
Reply 53
RdotR
Oh god, for the beta question I got stuck!
I knew alpha= smoke alarms, gamma=treating cancer.

For beta, I remember watching casualty and the doctor saying:
"HERE ARE SOME BETA BLOCKERS"

They're some form of medicine..i think :eek:!

+You know that 4 mark question abotu the graph, was that terminal speed?

I said medical tracers for beta.

Yeah, I put terminal speed and all the explanations (air resistance, mass etc.) for that question as well. ;yes;
Reply 54
Oh phew, will I get a mark for beta blockers though?
I googled it and it seems to be right..:s-smilie:
Reply 55
RdotR
Oh phew, will I get a mark for beta blockers though?
I googled it and it seems to be right..:s-smilie:

I don't know. :s-smilie: Tracers was the only one mentioned in the revision guide [lonsdale], but whenever I've seen a mark scheme they always have loads of different answers for questions like that, so you may do.
Reply 56
Would the grading boundary be low for this exam compared to bio and chemo?
Reply 57
I hope so, due to my lack or revision (simply couldn't be bothered) I didn't do AS good in this as I wanted it.
Reply 58
Venom123
Would the grading boundary be low for this exam compared to bio and chemo?

Usually it's biology's grade boundary that's lowest and Physics' is normally highest. I don't know about this year.
Reply 59
But Biology is too easy pffft
Physics should be lowered lol

Latest