The Student Room Group

Is this doable?

I'm aiming for a first overall - in my first year I got 60% (mitigating circs) and have just finished second year in which I should get 68%. Over this year half of my results have been a 1st (from 70-74%) and the other half a 2.1 (from 67-69%). I am slowly mastering my exam/assignment technique and know exactly where I need to improve. I need to get 72% next year in order to achieve a first... Would this be possible, provided I continue to put the work in, and am still able to take one night off per week? If anyone has any success stories that would be really motivating!

Thanks
Original post by peanutbuttercup
I'm aiming for a first overall - in my first year I got 60% (mitigating circs) and have just finished second year in which I should get 68%. Over this year half of my results have been a 1st (from 70-74%) and the other half a 2.1 (from 67-69%). I am slowly mastering my exam/assignment technique and know exactly where I need to improve. I need to get 72% next year in order to achieve a first... Would this be possible, provided I continue to put the work in, and am still able to take one night off per week? If anyone has any success stories that would be really motivating!

Thanks

If you've been improving then yes it seems possible.

USE your tutor and lecturers - find out what makes the difference between a borderline first and a high first. If you have a dissertation and can get a really good grade for that then that should give you some leeway to have a few lower marks without your overall average dropping.

Find out exactly how your university decide on degree classifications and whether there are any extra criteria (eg you must get a 1st in 50% of your final year credits) or flexibility (eg the exam board can bump people up from 68/69% to a first at their discretion or even automatically or borderline overall marks get given a viva to demonstrate that they're worthy of being bumped up).
yes, it's definitely possible

I would try and work out how to get those 70-75% marks up to 80-85%, in my experience you will always have some lower marks so it's unrealistic to expect to get no 2.1 marks at all, you need to be aiming to score high to average out any poor marks

Quick Reply

Latest