The Student Room Group

Doing GCSEs in 1 year

Hi,
due to circumstances I've missed a majority of the end of Year 9 and Year 10 from about the end of October up to now. So apart from the next half term that starts in June and a few months at the start of Year 10 I will essentially have 1 school year to do them.
Has anyone done this and do you have any advice on how I should catch up and organise my time?
Reply 1
Original post by imaginaryrunes
Hi,
due to circumstances I've missed a majority of the end of Year 9 and Year 10 from about the end of October up to now. So apart from the next half term that starts in June and a few months at the start of Year 10 I will essentially have 1 school year to do them.
Has anyone done this and do you have any advice on how I should catch up and organise my time?

Hiya:smile: My circumstances were a bit different to yours - I missed abut 50% of year 10 due to ill health, so I did still have some input from teachers, however the majority of my year 10 learning was self-taught. First things first, I'd say that if you haven't already, talk to the school about your circumstances. They should be able to put lots of support in place, including after school sessions if you want them and extra communication with teachers to deliver any work you may miss to you.

I'd say that your biggest advantage right now is that you have the summer holidays ahead of you. By the time you reach the GCSE exam period, a lot of 'revision' is completely re-learning the material from year 10 independently, so it is possible to do so. Make sure that you know where all of your teachers plan to be up to in the specification by the end of year 10, and show real commitment over the holidays by learning everything up to that point. Once you start, you'll realise that a lot of the information is already on the internet for GCSEs.

Obviously this isn't anybody's favourite way to spend their holidays, but you'll really thank yourself for it when you reach the exam period (and hopefully on results day too!).

If you're really struggling, it's always worth considering staying behind a year (although I get this is probably the last thing you want to do, just a reminder that it's always an option).

I hope that helps a bit, I can try and give some more specific advice on how I caught up if that would be helpful :smile: It's definitely possible though so stay positive, you've just got to be willing to put the work in. Good luck!
Original post by imaginaryrunes
Hi,

Dont worry i did my Maths, core science and eng language exam early in year 9 bearing in my mind i only had one year to do them,so its definitely doable

Quick Reply

Latest