Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Would you buy this? Potentially starting a business (poll).

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
  • View Poll Results: Would you buy any of the 2 items? What is a reasonable price in your opinion?
    Yes, I would buy either of these. Reasonable price would be 7+pounds for shot glass and 13+ pounds for margarita glass.
    Yes, I would buy either of these. Reasonable price would be 6-7 pounds for shot glass and 10-13 pounds for margarita glass.
    Yes, I would buy either of these. Reasonable price would be 4-6 pounds for shot glass and 7-10 pounds for margarita glass.
    No, I would not buy any of these (you can still suggest the price for both of these items).
    Suggest another price range (please reply to this thread).

Hi everyone,

I am looking into potentially starting a business in the UK and have a range of items I would be selling - this includes tableware (dining plates, serving plates, dishes and other related items) as well as glassware (glasses, shot glasses, cocktail glasses, etc).

All these products are handmade in Mexico and therefore each of them is unique.

I could not find anything similar in the UK (except just one shop which sells a couple of similar products which in my opinion are inferior to mine and quite highly priced).

I would greatly appreciate if you left your opinions in this thread, as it would allow me to see if there could possibly be demand for these items.

Please let me know what you think of the 2 items below - handmade shot glasses with pepper, cactus and other Mexico-themed objects inside (first 4 pictures), as well as handmade, hand-painted margarita glasses (picture 5 - currently don't have the item to hand, hence not the best picture).

Would you buy them? Do you think someone who is looking for shot glasses or margarita glasses would find these an attractive buy? Lastly, which price range do you think is the most suitable for each of these items? I would also look into selling sets of glasses which would offer a reduced price as compared to buying them individually.

The glasses look nicer in person - photos do not do them justice.

Thanks again for your time - its greatly appreciated!

PS. I am also including examples of alternative items, which are available on the market - these will hopefully help you decide how you feel about the items I offer (in terms of pricing and design). You can obviously find very cheap sets of shot glasses for 5 pounds, which include around 12 glasses, but I am hoping my products will appeal to people, who prefer quality over quantity as well as unique style and don't mind paying a tiny bit more for a nicer product.

Just few examples of products on the market currently:

1. http://www.johnlewis.com/sparq-soaps...-of-4/p2017359
    4 soapstone shot glasses - £22.50 + £3.50 delivery - £26 (£6.5 per glass)
    The above ones are quite nice.

2. http://www.johnlewis.com/lsa-interna...6?colour=Clear
    6 simple branded glasses for £32 + £3.5 delivery (this does include the wooden board) - £5.9 per glass (roughly)

3. http://www.johnlewis.com/lsa-interna...f-4/p230575938
    Set of 4 simple glasses - £30 + £3.5 delivery (£8.4 per item)

Margarita glasses:

1. http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-...-of-4/p1451258
    4 for £18 + £3.5 delivery - £5.4 per glass

2. http://www.johnlewis.com/lsa-interna...f-2/p231568183
    2 for £30 + £3.5 delivery - £16.75 per glass
    Attached Images

Hi guys,

Thank you to everyone, who left their vote so far! I can see there were around 80 views of the thread already, but only 2 people actually voted. If you are having a read of this thread, please express your opinion by leaving a vote - it only takes a second and your thoughts are really important to me!

Thank you!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.