The Student Room Group

Edexcel French, Unit 4, 14th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thought that was tough, as expected.

I did the EU one which was a nice question but I screwed it up and wasn't sure whether 'faciliter' was encouraging the movement or reducing it. Because I forgot the meaning of facilitate in English. So now the examiner will be wondering why on earth I'm talking about whether limiting the circulation was bad/good when it was the opposite angle. Got four stats into it though which was nice.

That literature RBE though... How do you talk about TWO characters and evaluate their importance in just 270 words? I spent one hour and a half on it, was just a train wreck.
Original post by elen90

I did the EU one which was a nice question but I screwed it up and wasn't sure whether 'faciliter' was encouraging the movement or reducing it. Because I forgot the meaning of facilitate in English. So now the examiner will be wondering why on earth I'm talking about whether limiting the circulation was bad/good when it was the opposite angle. Got four stats into it though which was nice.

That literature RBE though... How do you talk about TWO characters and evaluate their importance in just 270 words? I spent one hour and a half on it, was just a train wreck.

Did you do La Haine for the RBE ?
Reply 22
Original post by anilmg98
Did you do La Haine for the RBE ?

No Bonjour Tristesse, a book :h:
Faciliter means to ease or to faciliate. So basically helping it no?
I did the essay on need for energy and whether the principal consideration should be to be independent from other countries.

Original post by elen90

Did anyone do La Haine for RBE? If so which characters did you use ?
Reply 25
Did anyone do Un sac de billes?
What did everyone think of the translation?
Original post by Clorrie
Did anyone do Un sac de billes?
What did everyone think of the translation?

The translation was not bad.
What did u do for the discursive?
Original post by elen90

I also did the EU one, thought it was a very tough question! They hopefully won't penalise you for that as they acknowledge that the language can't be flawless :smile: I think I did OK in that one, I'm just annoyed that I missed a point on the shortage of labour in the UK! I popped into stats just like you though :smile:

I thought that was definitely one of the hardest literature questions so far. We did "L'étranger" (Camus) and it was quite difficult to talk about 2 - I missed out part of my conclusion but I think my analysis was okay!
Reply 28
The translation was not bad.
What did u do for the discursive?

I did the EU one but I don't think that I answered it too well. Think the Lit question was okay for un sac de billes but for some books it would have been really hard.
Reply 29

I spoke about Asterix and the man they met in the toilet
Reply 30

I did the two policeman; the first being the one that drives Hubert, Vinz and Said in his car telling them that the police are there to protect them, and the second being the one who tortures Hubert and Said in the interrogation scene.
Reply 31
Original post by jeevanr21
I also did the EU one, thought it was a very tough question! They hopefully won't penalise you for that as they acknowledge that the language can't be flawless :smile: I think I did OK in that one, I'm just annoyed that I missed a point on the shortage of labour in the UK! I popped into stats just like you though :smile:

I thought that was definitely one of the hardest literature questions so far. We did "L'étranger" (Camus) and it was quite difficult to talk about 2 - I missed out part of my conclusion but I think my analysis was okay!

Thank you, you've calmed my panic about that haha. In my intro for that one I talked about Schengen to give some background info. My points were: immigrants have contributed £13 billion to the economy in 2014 which eases the effects of austerity after the financial crisis (for some reason they love it when you refer to the financial crisis), and 100 scientists say we must allow movement of young European scientists so if we reduced free movement scientific progress would suffer. Then for the other paragraph I discussed the strain on employment - 24.7% unemployment rate in France etc. - and the strain on social security followed by a strange but hopefully relevant statistic on people waiting for organ donations (7,000 are on the waiting list so we can't afford to allow more people to come and join that). My conclusion was essentially: freedom of movement is good, as long as it isn't harmful towards native citizens. I sounded very bigoted towards the end though...

Did you put lots of quotes in and include a bibliography?

I went 18 words over the limit - woops - but because my conclusion was one long 60-word run on sentence it fit within the boundaries, I hope.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jkb97
I did the two policeman; the first being the one that drives Hubert, Vinz and Said in his car telling them that the police are there to protect them, and the second being the one who tortures Hubert and Said in the interrogation scene.

omg... I think i did everything wrong... when it sais secondary characters i talked about hubert and said.. do you think thats right ???:frown::frown:
Original post by Faz6
I spoke about Asterix and the man they met in the toilet

Do you think Hubert and Said will count?
Does anyone know whether HUBERT AND SAID will count as secondary characters for the RBE essay ?? I seriously didnt know that ou can use others because my teacher never anaylsed other characters except Said hubert vinz and grunwalski ????
Original post by elen90
No Bonjour Tristesse, a book :h:

I did Bonjour Tristesse too! Which characters did you use? I talked about Raymond and Anne, and how they influence Cecile, as the freedom her dad gives her and the stress created from Anne obsessing over school lead to Cecile's "evil" plan.
Did anyone choose the energy question for the discursive essay?
How about the translation?? mine was a disaster
Reply 38
Original post by beachelsea
I did Bonjour Tristesse too! Which characters did you use? I talked about Raymond and Anne, and how they influence Cecile, as the freedom her dad gives her and the stress created from Anne obsessing over school lead to Cecile's "evil" plan.

I talked about Raymond and Cyril - same about how Raymond's influence on Cecile of showing her a careful and promiscuous life led her to feel false entitlement towards her father and youthful impetuosity, and so when Anne upsets her current life she creates the plot :wink:

Then I briefly talked about Cyril being important in moving Cecile's plot along.

For the contrary, I said maybe Raymond wasn't so important because Cecile talks about 'la chaleur' being the cause of her irrational thoughts all the time, and Cyril's only role in the book being to give the main character physical pleasure and being a tool in the plot - a means to an end. I think I tried to briefly mention Sagan's feminism there because both men are presented as sideline characters to the central plot between the women.

I'm so glad someone else did BT, felt like I was the only one!
Original post by asdfghjklñ
How about the translation?? mine was a disaster

did you do la haine for the rbe ?
i think the translation was ok

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending