Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My girlfriend is depressed and I'm struggling....

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

So I've been with my girlfriend for almost 2 years now, she told me about a year ago that she sometimes goes through like these depression "phases" throughout her entire life, one time self harming.
    At around the start of this year her Grandma died and this is when I first started noticing her mood changes, she would feel down and just not care about anything and also get very angry at me for no reason.
    5 months later and it's getting worse and worse every day, she tells me about how she wants to kill herself and how she doesn't care about anything, including me. I've tried to be there for her when she's feeling down but it usually ends in a fight as she'll hurl insults at me and expect me to have answers when I don't know what to do.
    A few months ago I suggested her to see a doctor, she did, and after a few weeks she was put on some online program. She hated it, and after a couple of weeks she just stopped going on it all together, saying its useless and doesn't help.
    The stress from everyone at this time of year is higher than ever, and I'm tired of this battle and I don't know what to do, I feel like I'm losing this battle and she feels like it too.

Hi I am in a simailr situation with my boyfriend. He is currently taking meds. However we are in a long distance relaship and he goes though dark periods, where he ignores me for days at a time. Having like your Gf sudicial thoughs. I feel helpless and alone. Unable to help in anyway. I wish I had some adive for you but I dont no what to do, I recently called his dad, when things got really bad and begged his dad not to tell my bf that I had told him. If your Gf family are in the dark about this then maybe you should tell them. It has helped me, feel less alone. But I really understand how you must be feeling, I think it is good the more people that no. Understand the situation but it is imporant for you to be looking after you to. Talk to your close friedns how it is making you feel. because maybe like me you feel angry at your parnter for treating you in this way, even though they cant help it because of there depression. I often feel really upset that this person who loves me can be so cold towards me. I dont no if this has helped at all, I guess I just though it might help knowing someone else is going though something very simailr to you....
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 1, 1970
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.