The Student Room Group

What mark do I need in GCSE English Language Exam to get a C?

Hi,

I wanted to ask what mark would i need to score in a AQA GCSE English Language Exam (Foundation Tier total 80 marks) to achieve a C grade?

The coursework i did is worth 40% of the grade (exam is 60% of grade), i got 80/105 (i think its out of 105), so around a grade B in coursework.

Nervous about the upcoming exam! 😭

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
i didn't think you could get a B at foundation tier. it all depends on the exam board, my school does AQA and last year i think it was 45/60 for an A*, which is 75% of the exam for the highest grade. depending how many marks your paper is out of as well, i think you could secure a C somewhere around 80% of the marks.
Reply 2
Original post by erikamae
i didn't think you could get a B at foundation tier. it all depends on the exam board, my school does AQA and last year i think it was 45/60 for an A*, which is 75% of the exam for the highest grade. depending how many marks your paper is out of as well, i think you could secure a C somewhere around 80% of the marks.

Thanks for your reply. The exam is the only tier'd part of the course (worth 60%), the coursework isn't (worth 40%), so as far as i'm aware the maximum grade you can score on the foundation exam is a C, but if you did well on your coursework (B grade) then overall you can still achieve a grade B depending on if you get near full marks on the exam of course.

I was really only after a C grade, hence wanting to do the foundation exam (play it safe). 80% of the marks would mean i would need around 64/80 in my exam, seems very high! 😞 I would of thought taking into consideration i did well on my coursework i would need less marks of my exam to achieve a C grade?

I initially thought along the lines of getting a B in coursework then getting a D in the exam the overall grade would be a C? (Pushes the grade up).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Green Dragon
Thanks for your reply. The exam is the only tier'd part of the course (worth 60%), the coursework isn't (worth 40%), so as far as i'm aware the maximum grade you can score on the foundation exam is a C, but if you did well on your coursework (B grade) then overall you can still achieve a grade B depending on if you get near full marks on the exam of course.

I was really only after a C grade, hence wanting to do the foundation exam (play it safe). 80% of the marks would mean i would need around 64/80 in my exam, seems very high! 😞 I would of thought taking into consideration i did well on my coursework i would need less marks of my exam to achieve a C grade?

I initially thought along the lines of getting a B in coursework then getting a D in the exam the overall grade would be a C? (Pushes the grade up).

oops sorry, i didn't know that beforehand so yeah, i definitely think you could get a C with a B in coursework and a D in the exam. i'm guessing that would be anywhere between 65-75% of the marks but that's a completely random guess. it would be good if you checked out the previous grade boundaries on the AQA website so that you practically know around how many marks you can lose to achieve the grade you want. i think you should aim for a C though! i'm not aware how difficult the foundation paper is and it obviously depends on your ability but if you got a C, there's a chance that it bumps up to a B, which would be a pretty good grade.

Quick Reply

Latest