The Student Room Group

What happens if I fail my AS levels?

Okay so I've been digging around on the internet trying to find an answer to this question but I'm still unsure. I've come to the realisation that passing my first year at sixth form is not looking great and with the new specs it's making it even more difficult for me to understand what happens if I fail this year. right now I'm taking english lit (ocr), psychology (aqa), and film studies (wjec). I'm also taking photography but there's no exam only coursework. so I ask, what happens if i fail AS or only get passing grades for two subjects?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
retake while doin a2s or repeat the year
For a lot of the new specs your AS grades don't actually count towards your A2 grades. This however may not be the case, so you should check your specificication. If you fail AS and your sixthform still allow you to go onto A2 (which is unlikely but I know people who still went on to do A2) then I'd recommend you take a gap year before going to Uni because the grades you send off are based on your AS grades. And if you do better in your A2 exams then you can use these grades to apply for Uni.
for most sixthforms you need to get two D's and two E's which is manageable so I'm confident you'll get onto A2. If you do not get these grades you can either retake the year while you progress on to A2 or you may have to resit the entire year.

Quick Reply

Latest