The Student Room Group

Insurance for a 17/m driver

I have been reading around on TSR and I found that some people could get cheaper quotes than the OP with the same car. My question is, can you get better quotes than those I have posted below? Bear in mind that this is going to be my first car, I don't want to spend too much on insurance. Please tell me what insurance company you used to get your quote, and/or the website used.

Toyota Prius REG: VU60UKV £2500
Ford Fiesta REG: RO13VGG £2200

I'm quite car savvy, so these are the reasons I chose those cars.
The Prius has bags of spec; it has every gadget you would need, and a lot of space. The Fiesta has the 1.0l ecoboost engine. I love this engine, you could get 150hp with it if you got a remap with supporting mods. It can also be modified reasonably easily, with parts being easily accessible.

If you have any alternatives to these cars, please list below, with the respective insurance quote. At the end, I'll analyse all the findings and make a post stating what the best companies and websites are for young driver insurance.
Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
"I'm quite car savvy"
>17m
>first car wants mods/remap immediately
>doesn't understand how insurance quotes work

Good luck crashing your first car lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by KZHX
"I'm quite car savvy"
>17m
>first car wants mods/remap immediately
>doesn't understand how insurance quotes work

Good luck crashing your first car lol

LOL I sense salt... Mods, I mean air ride on the fiesta with smoothed bumpers and rims. I know more about cars than you, so I don't see how a remap will result in a crash?? I just want more power to be able to join motorways better. Also of course I know how insurance works. Its just that in my experience, some websites and companies give lower quotes based on other quotes you may have. Thats why I wanted more people to see quotes.
Reply 3
That EcoBoost engine has seen a lot of turbo failures hasn't it? Wouldn't be remapping it... but you know that already.
You do know that if you modify your car like this, you'll either a) Have to tell your insurers and your insurance will skyrocket in price, or b) Not tell them and be resigned to the fact that your insurance will be invalidated if you try to claim and it becomes apparent that you've made modifications and not declared them.
Reply 5
Original post by FXX
That EcoBoost engine has seen a lot of turbo failures hasn't it? Wouldn't be remapping it... but you know that already.

You mean the early cooling failures on the early focus ecoboosts?? Other than that, reliability with a Mountune MR or MP pack has been second to none.
Reply 6
Well I can insure the prius for under £450. How that could possibly in any shape or form mean anything to you is totally beyond me. But I only worked in insurance for 6 years, I am sure you know more than me, just like you know more than everyone else in this thread who has loads of experience driving and maintaining cars. /Sarcasm
Original post by Chayzee
LOL I sense salt... Mods, I mean air ride on the fiesta with smoothed bumpers and rims. I know more about cars than you, so I don't see how a remap will result in a crash?? I just want more power to be able to join motorways better. Also of course I know how insurance works. Its just that in my experience, some websites and companies give lower quotes based on other quotes you may have. Thats why I wanted more people to see quotes.

You'll find that if you mod it or remap it the insurance quote will go up and you will have to tell the insurer and pay the difference which would be very substantial (even for purely cosmetic mods) - they would probably refuse to insure you and then your car would be sitting around useless. If you didn't then in the event of a crash you'd find yourself going to prison for driving uninsured even though you thought you were insured...

Also, if I can join motorways fine in a 67 hosepower engine I don't see why you need the extra power tbh unless you're an awful driver.
Reply 8
Original post by HFBS
Well I can insure the prius for under £450. How that could possibly in any shape or form mean anything to you is totally beyond me. But I only worked in insurance for 6 years, I am sure you know more than me, just like you know more than everyone else in this thread who has loads of experience driving and maintaining cars. /Sarcasm

LOL I meant if you used your circumstances but changed you age to 17, with 0 no claims bonus and such... what would you get quoted with your respective company/website.
Reply 9
Original post by Chayzee
LOL I meant if you used your circumstances but changed you age to 17, with 0 no claims bonus and such... what would you get quoted with your respective company/website.

Which would still be entirely worthless to you. Unless you want to give me your address, employment details, family details (including their jobs, driving histories, dates of birth etc, because you did put your parents on as extra drivers, right?) security details for day and night, means of payment, and medical history.

Current hypothesis is that you don't know sh*t about sh*t. As yet unable to disprove said hypothesis.
Reply 10
For me, I have parents that are very good drivers. Yet, when I add them to my insurance, the quote price does not increase, nor decrease. All I was asking was to see how the company you use for the insurance quote differs for different people. The independent variable in this is address; posting whereabouts you live i.e North London, or Surrey, will also be helpful. You do not need to add employment details either. I just want to see baseline quotes for a normal 17 year old.
The quote can have no job, except full time student, good medical history with no problems, and only passed, let's say, 2 months ago.
Use your common sense :/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Chayzee
For me, I have parents that are very good drivers. Yet, when I add them to my insurance, the quote price does not increase, nor decrease. All I was asking was to see how the company you use for the insurance quote differs for different people. The independent variable in this is address; posting whereabouts you live i.e North London, or Surrey, will also be helpful. You do not need to add employment details either. I just want to see baseline quotes for a normal 17 year old.
The quote can have no job, except full time student, good medical history with no problems, and only passed, let's say, 2 months ago.
You your common sense :/

My common sense says that getting involved in a fools errand making up car insurance quotes for you is a complete waste of time.
Reply 12
Original post by HFBS
My common sense says that getting involved in a fools errand making up car insurance quotes for you is a complete waste of time.

Thank you for your opinion.
SOrry but thats already a lot for insurance and then adding mods (a bloody remap) is going to rape your insurance premium, perhaps even get it cancelled. And no you dont need mountune to drive in the motorway. I can drive 90hp ford focus in the fast lane all day on the motorway with no problem. My only issue is off the line acceleration, which again shouldnt even be a big deal at this age.
Original post by Irish Wristwatch
I have been reading around on TSR and I found that some people could get cheaper quotes than the OP with the same car. My question is, can you get better quotes than those I have posted below? Bear in mind that this is going to be my first car, I don't want to spend too much on insurance. Please tell me what insurance company you used to get your quote, and/or the website used.

The Prius has bags of spec; it has every gadget you would need, and a lot of space. The Fiesta has the 1.0l ecoboost engine. I love this engine, you could get 150hp with it if you got a remap with supporting mods. It can also be modified reasonably easily, with parts being easily accessible.

If you have any alternatives to these cars, please list below, with the respective insurance quote. At the end, I'll analyse all the findings and make a post stating what the best companies and websites are for young driver insurance.
Thank you!

HOW!! i'm 21, male and my cheapest was £7,000 on a fiat 500
but in one way is this good as i can focus on making bentley bucks for my 30th
VW Golf 1.4 S

£1100 for car and £1000 for insurance.
Reply 16
Original post by jamesthehustler
HOW!! i'm 21, male and my cheapest was £7,000 on a fiat 500
but in one way is this good as i can focus on making bentley bucks for my 30th

Assuming you also looked at other cars that are less theft-attractive and more secure, I would imagine you have a job that is statistically rubbish at driving and you live in a high crime area. It is all statistics, apart from your gender, as they made it illegal to price insurance on that.
Original post by HFBS
Assuming you also looked at other cars that are less theft-attractive and more secure, I would imagine you have a job that is statistically rubbish at driving and you live in a high crime area. It is all statistics, apart from your gender, as they made it illegal to price insurance on that.

i live in a area where a cheap house is £800k and well i worked in the restaurant trade and well i couldn't afford a decent car like a mercedes or a maserati or a range rover
i did pay it for a year then i lost my job and focused on my passion and am planning to buy a maserati in a couple of years
Reply 18
Original post by jamesthehustler
i live in a area where a cheap house is £800k and well i worked in the restaurant trade and well i couldn't afford a decent car like a mercedes or a maserati or a range rover
i did pay it for a year then i lost my job and focused on my passion and am planning to buy a maserati in a couple of years

Expensive houses = lots of nice valuables to steal.

I don't care about your job or your car or your dreams, I am simply telling you the facts. It sounds like people in your trade crash lots.

I won't ask the obvious question that follows all the comments about the car.
Original post by Irish Wristwatch

Thank you!

Buy a Nissan Micra, or an old battered up corsa.
17 year old lads who have modified cars and stupidly big engines crash. The insurance wouldn't be so expensive if they didn't.

And no, there is no way to get it cheaper. New drivers pay out the nose to insure cars worth half of their insurance price.

New drivers = crash

And I'm not saying this as an experienced driver, I've only been driving a year. Take it from the people who have posted above, if you want a car like that you're really going to have to pay for it.

Quick Reply

Latest