The Student Room Group

Is York good for Maths?

Unfortunately due to cirumstances over my normal control I could only apply to York for a joint Maths + CS Master's degree. I'm not saying I'm that good at Maths, but I'd have to loved to have tried for Imperial, Durham or Warwick cause they're meant to be better. York is 13th for Maths according the Guardian which is very disappointing. For CS it's 4th, but Maths is my preference. Do you really think there's that much of a gap in teaching, intelligence, job opportunities for a university in the top 7 (obviously ignoring Oxbridge) compared to York? I don't want to do a degree if it doesn't mean anything. I know someone that got an MMath somewhere and is struggling to find a job.
Reply 1
York isnt bad at all...and im sure u wudnt struggle to get a job..where did that other person get their degree from?..if u have AAB or higher i would apply to warwick/ucl/imp/oxbridge for hte top unis and manchester/kings/notts for the mid range unis..not sure about the gap between unis however im sure it isn't that wide..i guess it depends wat job ur looking for.
Yes it's good. No there won't be a massive difference in job opputunities, the average mathematical intelligence of students may be slightly lower but there will always be ridiculously gifted mathematicians at such respected unis so if you're looking for a challenge you'll find one. And if anything I'd say the teaching would probably be better. Don't regret missing out on other unis just because some newspaper says it's 4 places above York or something, a Maths degree from York is respected. Any specific plans on careers?
Reply 3
I dunno where he got his degree from, I didn't ask. I'll probably get AAA hopefully.

I don't know what I want to do after my degree yet, maybe further education/PhD cause I really love maths but obviously I don't know how i will feel after it. I'd love to be a consultant of some sort, where people come to you to ask you to model stuff with Maths and i'd do it. That would be so fun! But probably unrealistic though.
Isn't the guardian supposed to be rubbish?
Reply 5
yea..the times is better. but they're not exactly full proof
Reply 6
Funny post, ended what's been a pretty dire week for me on a high note.

You're joking? Right?

The degree you're taking is not respected. People usually end up taking second rate tech jobs at various BB, big four and good technology companies. :rolleyes:
Reply 7
aaaaz
The degree you're taking is not respected. People usually end up taking second rate tech jobs at various BB, big four and good technology companies. :rolleyes:

To be fair, anything non front-office IB (and other similarly competitive jobs) are probably all that's slightly out of reach. It's not THAT bad, it's not like the OP is off to Kingston uni...
Reply 8
What is going on..?
aaaaz
Funny post, ended what's been a pretty dire week for me on a high note.

You're joking? Right?

A week of your life was slavaged because of that post? What I'd do to lead such a life :*****)
Reply 10
Come on aaaaz. I didn't mean any offense, I know York is awesome for CS which is why I specifically asked about the Maths cause it's in top twelve. I have no doubt people focusing on CS will get good jobs, but I'm gonna get an MMath and my "major" will be Maths so obviously it's gonna be different for me.
Reply 11
Yeah, apologies all round. Had a **** week and was wasted, took it as a personal insult :smile:

Mrsmann, I'll PM you tomorrow (if I remember) with some stuff that might make you feel better.

Also, you're major isn't Maths. You're degree is MMath in Computer Science and Mathematics. The degree is equally weighted but you have the ability to slightly bias your modules to your favoured discipline. I.e. 3/4th years you can pick more CS/Maths modules.

Latest