The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Download Tom Tom's notes; there is a very good presentation on NDEs :smile: . As long as you know the key characteristics and some problems associated with them you should be fine. I can't believe your teacher only taught you one topic; do they want you to fail? :eek:
brown
No, I'm only doing the Philosophy exam for RS as I'm not doing the Islam paper, I did New Testament instead last Wednesday. Thank goodness, if I had two RS exams and my Law Synoptic that would be bad!

We don't get breaks in-between exams either, which seems unfair. We're also not allowed to leave the exam room before the exam has finished, when in many other schools people are allowed to go after a certain time has elapsed (although I do tend to be one of the people who run out of time :p: ). So are you doing the whole A-Level RS this year then? That's brave :p: .

Sounds like your school has the same policy as us - archaic and unfair! At least my very quirky but brilliant tutor brought us round some Jaffa Cakes after the first exam!

Yeah I'm doing it all in one year. It's not been too bad actually, it's just a pity I won't be able resit any other my AS papers - but I'm sure I've done alright. I got full marks on the first unit (Islam), and I think I did pretty well on the Religious Authority unit two weeks ago. The Ethics I had the knowledge for, but I ran out of time on the last question! I hardly wrote anything and I know I've dropped loads of marks on it. Ah well, can't do anything about it now.

I'm going to ask for "special dispensation" on Thursday, hehe, and demand a break in-between! I've got an awful "writer's bump" on my middle finger and it stings to touch.

I don't have any notes online for the Synoptic unit unfortunately, but obviously most of what's needed can be found within the work over the past two years. I'm going to look at the mark schemes on the AQA website to gauge what kind of response they are looking for.
Reply 22
These notes are excellant and summarises everything on NDE (thats the only one ive looked at so far), without needing to look elsewhere i think, other than mark schemes. But has anyone got anything on mysticism?
Reply 23
Tom
Sounds like your school has the same policy as us - archaic and unfair! At least my very quirky but brilliant tutor brought us round some Jaffa Cakes after the first exam!

Yeah I'm doing it all in one year. It's not been too bad actually, it's just a pity I won't be able resit any other my AS papers - but I'm sure I've done alright. I got full marks on the first unit (Islam), and I think I did pretty well on the Religious Authority unit two weeks ago. The Ethics I had the knowledge for, but I ran out of time on the last question! I hardly wrote anything and I know I've dropped loads of marks on it. Ah well, can't do anything about it now.

I'm going to ask for "special dispensation" on Thursday, hehe, and demand a break in-between! I've got an awful "writer's bump" on my middle finger and it stings to touch.

I don't have any notes online for the Synoptic unit unfortunately, but obviously most of what's needed can be found within the work over the past two years. I'm going to look at the mark schemes on the AQA website to gauge what kind of response they are looking for.

Your school isn't so bad lol... we'd never be allowed Jaffa Cakes!!! :p:

I'm sure you'll have passed AS with flying colours :wink: . You probably approached it with a 'maturity' that made you stand out from the AS students.

Which topic are you doing for the Synoptic? I'm doing Life After Death :s-smilie: .
Reply 24
Anyone with Mysticism notes or where i can compile some type of mysticism?
Reply 25
eXis
Anyone with Mysticism notes or where i can compile some type of mysticism?

I've attached my class notes on the key characteristics.
(edited 11 years ago)
(edited 11 years ago)
Anyone with any other notes to share, please do so! My favourite way of revising is just to read. And read. And read some more. I find when I go to skim through them nearer the exam everything seems to have just stuck in my head.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Tom
Excellent notes, thanks!

Here's a tip we were giving for remember William James' characteristics of mystical experiences:
rearrange the first letters into an anagram = PINT. Passivity, Ineffability, Noetic Quality, Transiency.

You're welcome :wink: . I'll dig out some more in a minute. Cheers for the anagram - won't forget that now!

Tom
Thanks! I think the biggest benefit to me this past year has been the fact that I started the course as an agnostic. I wasn't a religionist so I could be more objective than the vast majority of Muslims in my class, who for some found it difficult to look critically at aspects of their faith.

Me too. When I started AS last year, only me and my friend were agnostics. There was one atheist in the class, everyone else was Christian/Muslim. It has definitely helped being more objective and being able to form my own opinion on things after hearing both sides of the story.
Reply 31
Attached my class notes on the problem of evil :wink: .
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
Thanks all for the notes. I'm not trying to copy anyone or anything, but attatched is a word document for AQA Philosophy 11. It has NDEs, Mysticism and evil and suffering all summarised in one word document, with content drawn from Browns mysticism, a few bits i have and tom toms ppts. I hope this is okay with you, if i post it, as i know i find it easier if its all in one document together in an easy to read bullet point format. So thats what i have done and i hope it is of use to others.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
Tom
Did you know much about religion before you started the course? I personally didn't know too much, I guess much of what I knew about Islam was that of which is projected by the media - but I've always been far too savvy not to take on board what I see, hear and read without a hefty pinch of salt.

What I've found since studying Islam is that, like Christianity there are many different sects with contrasting views. The media seems to lump all these different traditions together and present it as one - unlike Christianity, where there is a clear distinction between Roman Catholics and Protestants.

Anyhoo, I didn't know what to expect, as our college called religious studies: Philosophy, Religious and Islamic Studies. My guess is it is to attract Muslim students who may be drawn to discovering more about their faith. That was reflected in the fact that in AS classes, I was the only male, the only white, and the only non-Muslim. That didn't bother me at all however, and I've made some great friends and had some lively debates. The A2 class was slightly more mixed, with one Roman Catholic girl. At the end of it all, I've learned so much it's unreal, and I'm really interested in learning more about religion and philosophy.

I did GCSE RS which taught me the basics about Islam (Dress, Food, Jihad, etc.) but nothing in depth. When I went to the College Open Day I just knew that I had to take AS RS - my teacher is one of the most genuine, helpful and caring people I have ever come across and I got this impression the first time I met her. She wants all of her pupils to succeed, regardless of academic ability, and never loses faith. She is a strong Christian but can relate to each and every one of us in our class. In my Individual Learning Plan she wrote: 'Continued high motivation coupled with mature and perceptive ability will surely achieve a well deserved grade A in June'. Sorry if that sounded like a bit of a dedication to my teacher, but she really is an amazing woman.

I guess my only real knowledge of religion was that which I had got from the media as well. But I feel like I now know so much more about who we are as human beings and what life is all about. I definitely do not regret taking RS.
Reply 36
Thanks for the rep guys! x :wink:

eXis
Thanks all for the notes. I'm not trying to copy anyone or anything, but attatched is a word document for AQA Philosophy 11. It has NDEs, Mysticism and evil and suffering all summarised in one word document, with content drawn from Browns mysticism, a few bits i have and tom toms ppts. I hope this is okay with you, if i post it, as i know i find it easier if its all in one document together in an easy to read bullet point format. So thats what i have done and i hope it is of use to others.

You did that quick! :p: A good idea.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
I wish you the best of luck with that! :wink: :biggrin: I sort of regret having applied for Law, my RS teacher thinks I'm the best pupil she's had in ages lol and really wanted me to do Theology. I personally enjoy RS way more than Law but I'm not sure if it challenges me enough (that's why I also do German!)

You should have done the Religion and Science unit @ AS lol - although it only went into things superficially, it did explore the compatibility of religion and science in terms of miracles and the origin of the universe.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending