The Student Room Group

LMH Oxford: Ask us anything

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi,
I'm interested in studying maths at Oxford or Cambridge. Do you have any advice for me choosing between them for maths? Also how many mathematicians do you take at LMH?
Thank you
Original post by Smhudson
Hi there,

I am considering applying to study law however I'm not sure what experience I should seek to gain to really make my personal statement stand out amongst the rest? Would any current law students at LMH be able to help? I have already been accepted on a scheme in London shadowing a lawyer for a week but have missed the deadlines for all of the residential programmes at Oxford by the looks of it. Thank you in advance!

Hello!

As promised, here are a few lines from our student ambassador Oskar (1st year law):

“The most important thing is that no experience is needed for applying for law at LMH. What a personal statement should show is enthusiasm and passion: experience is one of myriad ways to show this.I did not do a single bit of work experience, shadowing, or Oxford residential programmes. I read a couple of general interest books on human rights law that I found interesting, and did Model UN. Most importantly, I knew why I wanted to apply to law, and why I wanted to apply to Oxford. I think explaining your enthusiasm is so much more valuable than demonstrating it through activities.I hope this helps! Good luck. There’s no need to take on activities for admission to LMH. Everyone here understands how much you already have on during A levels.”Oskar
Hey! Do you have any idea what would happen to the fees of EU students in case of Brexit? For example, if I were lucky enough to get in to Oxford to study Medicine for 2017 entry, would I still get my 6 years with the lower fees, or would they increase before/during the course or when transitioning to the clinical years?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by StationToStation
Hey! Do you have any idea what would happen to the fees of EU students in case of Brexit? For example, if I were lucky enough to get in to Oxford to study Medicine for 2017 entry, would I still get my 6 years with the lower fees, or would they increase before/during the course or when transitioning to the clinical years?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Hi there!

Tuition fees for 2017/18 have not yet been agreed so I'm afraid I can't give you a definitive answer on this one. Applicants from the EU (other than from the UK) intending to apply for a place to start at Oxford in 2017/18, or holding an offer for deferred entry in 2017/18, are advised to refer to the UKCISA website

Hope that helps! :smile:
Marrium
Original post by LMH OXFORD
Hi there!

Tuition fees for 2017/18 have not yet been agreed so I'm afraid I can't give you a definitive answer on this one. Applicants from the EU (other than from the UK) intending to apply for a place to start at Oxford in 2017/18, or holding an offer for deferred entry in 2017/18, are advised to refer to the UKCISA website

Hope that helps! :smile:
Marrium

Thanks for the response, I'll check the site out! :smile:
How does LMH feel about people reapplying to Oxford??

Also, how does LMH assess applications for Maths - Is the entire criteria for admission/interview based on your MAT score??
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 46
Hello!

As promised, here are a few lines from our student ambassador Oskar (1st year law):

“The most important thing is that no experience is needed for applying for law at LMH. What a personal statement should show is enthusiasm and passion: experience is one of myriad ways to show this.I did not do a single bit of work experience, shadowing, or Oxford residential programmes. I read a couple of general interest books on human rights law that I found interesting, and did Model UN. Most importantly, I knew why I wanted to apply to law, and why I wanted to apply to Oxford. I think explaining your enthusiasm is so much more valuable than demonstrating it through activities.I hope this helps! Good luck. There’s no need to take on activities for admission to LMH. Everyone here understands how much you already have on during A levels.”Oskar

Thanks for the help Oskar and India, that's been really useful and you have put my mind at ease! Are there any specific books that you would recommend for law? I'm particularly interested in human rights laws and where human rights boundaries lie. My school haven't assisted much with Oxbridge application guidance as students at my school rarely apply- so I'm a bit lost! Thank you again for taking time out to help, I really appreciate it.
Sophie
Original post by the-anonymous-me
How does LMH feel about people reapplying to Oxford??

Also, how does LMH assess applications for Maths - Is the entire criteria for admission/interview based on your MAT score??

Hi there,

Oxford (and, of course, LMH) regularly receives re-applications during each admissions cycle, and they are treated no differently to first-time applications. If you are keen to reapply, then there's nothing to lose by trying!

For any courses which incorporate admissions tests as part of the application process, no, the results are not the sole or even dominating factor in deciding whether you receive an interview or offer. Oxford tutors invest a great deal of time in looking closely at all of the information you provide as an applicant - GCSE and AS level grades, predicted A2 grades (and equivalents), personal statement, reference, and admissions tests/submitted work where applicable. This enables them to build up a detailed picture of each applicant which is more sensitive to how individual each application is than focusing entirely on one area (such as a MAT score). This also means that tutors are able to make individual judgements on each application which makes it difficult to pinpoint a single area which is "most important" to securing an interview/offer. The best way of approaching it is to give each part of the process the same level of attention and care, and make sure you are as happy as possible with whatever you submit :-)

Hope this is helpful!

India
Original post by Smhudson
Thanks for the help Oskar and India, that's been really useful and you have put my mind at ease! Are there any specific books that you would recommend for law? I'm particularly interested in human rights laws and where human rights boundaries lie. My school haven't assisted much with Oxbridge application guidance as students at my school rarely apply- so I'm a bit lost! Thank you again for taking time out to help, I really appreciate it.
Sophie

Hi Sophie,

I asked my friend who graduated with a Law degree last summer about background reading, and she said these books were good for general overviews of concepts and getting used to approaching Law as a subject:

McBrice, 'Letters to a Law Student'
Smith, 'Learning the Law'
Tomkins, 'Public Law'
Herring, 'Criminal Law: the Basics'

Don't feel, however, that you have to read all of these and know them cover to cover! (You may find some other general titles which interest you in your local public or school library - you don't need to read lots of heavy academic books before you apply) You will not be expected to be an "expert" on any area of the subject when you make your application; it's far more important that (as Oskar said) you are able to articulate why you want to study Law, and if you are invited for an interview tutors will make sure the discussion, and any materials used, are accessible. Human rights issues frequently appear in the news - an easy way of getting a feel for the subject could be searching for related stories on broadsheet newspapers' websites. Even something as simple as this, and considering how human rights law applies in each case, can be great preparation for the kind of thinking Law students do at Oxford.

Glad you have found us useful - please don't hesitate to ask anything else!

India
Hello LMH!

I'm a prospective Year 11 student for French and Linguistics (or potentially Classics), and I was wondering whether you could tell me; do you know of anyone in absolutely any course who has got in with no A*, but perhaps straight As, or just 1 A* or so?
Hi there,

Oxford (and, of course, LMH) regularly receives re-applications during each admissions cycle, and they are treated no differently to first-time applications. If you are keen to reapply, then there's nothing to lose by trying!

For any courses which incorporate admissions tests as part of the application process, no, the results are not the sole or even dominating factor in deciding whether you receive an interview or offer. Oxford tutors invest a great deal of time in looking closely at all of the information you provide as an applicant - GCSE and AS level grades, predicted A2 grades (and equivalents), personal statement, reference, and admissions tests/submitted work where applicable. This enables them to build up a detailed picture of each applicant which is more sensitive to how individual each application is than focusing entirely on one area (such as a MAT score). This also means that tutors are able to make individual judgements on each application which makes it difficult to pinpoint a single area which is "most important" to securing an interview/offer. The best way of approaching it is to give each part of the process the same level of attention and care, and make sure you are as happy as possible with whatever you submit :-)

Hope this is helpful!

India

Thanks for your help
Hi,
For maths the entry requirement says A*A*A including A* in maths and further maths. Is this a strict rule? Im doing 4 subjects so what if I get A*A*AA or A*A*A*A with A in further maths.
Original post by TeenPolyglot
Hello LMH!

I'm a prospective Year 11 student for French and Linguistics (or potentially Classics), and I was wondering whether you could tell me; do you know of anyone in absolutely any course who has got in with no A*, but perhaps straight As, or just 1 A* or so?

Hi there,

I'm sure there are students with similar grades to this who have earned offers from Oxford - anecdotal evidence is probably not the best guide to base your own application on, however :-) Oxford tutors will look at a number of different parts of your academic profile (including any extenuating circumstances which could have affected grades) when considering an application, so if your predicted A2 grades show that you are on track to meet an offer (standard AAA for arts subjects at present) and you are keen to apply, you should definitely not be discouraged!

Hope this helps,

India
Reply 53
Hi everyone!

I'm a student from America hoping to apply for Jurisprudence, but my SAT score (for the redesigned test) came out a few points lower than the required score, but all my other criteria are in line. Is there any chance I can submit test scores after the UCAS deadline or submit the lower scores and still have a chance of being admitted?
Original post by e-b
Hi,
I'm interested in studying maths at Oxford or Cambridge. Do you have any advice for me choosing between them for maths? Also how many mathematicians do you take at LMH?
Thank you

Hi there,

We can only really advise you on Oxford courses, since that's what we know and understand the best - although it's easy to joke about our rivalry with Cambridge (;-) ) broadly speaking, the experience you would have at either university would be very similar in terms of tutorial teaching, collegiate system etc. Oxford's Maths course is distinctive for its optional fourth year, which earns a MMath (Masters) without any need to apply for a postgraduate course. Plenty of mathematicians at LMH opt for this!

LMH accepts a large number of Maths students each year - around 10, although this number includes those on related courses such as Maths & Stats and Maths & Philosophy (the numbers for these less popular courses vary each year according to demand, but straight Maths always has the majority of places).

Hope this helps!

India
Original post by fpmaniac
Hi,
For maths the entry requirement says A*A*A including A* in maths and further maths. Is this a strict rule? Im doing 4 subjects so what if I get A*A*AA or A*A*A*A with A in further maths.

Hi there,

In most cases the grades listed by the university prospectus are non-negotiable - Further Maths is not a compulsory subject (as some applicants may come from schools which don't offer it), but if you are studying it as one of your A Levels then achieving an A* will be made a condition of an offer.

Hope this helps!

India
Hello there,

If you are an applicant from outside the EU (as you are), then you have the option of a Skype interview if you reach the interview stage. You would of course still be welcome to attend the interview in person, but the college wouldn't be able to reimburse you for travelling such a long way and it's less likely to be feasible than for our domestic applicants! The content of a Skype interview would be exactly the same as a regular interview and our admissions team have lots of procedures in place to make sure they are as equal and fair as possible.

There is no age restriction for applying to Oxford - if you are over 21 in your application year then you would be considered a mature student, but would still be considered for undergraduate courses in the same way as younger applicants.

We have an incredibly diverse student population at LMH (one of the perks of being both a large and welcoming college), and Indian students are just one of many nationalities which make up the undergraduate community. International students also have their own representation in the JCR (Junior Common Room - like a student council) and the college is really good at listening to any specific concerns they may have. We also host a number of different cultural events each year - one of the most popular is the "World at LMH" food festival which is run by staff and students.

Hope this helps!

India
Original post by EsraB
Hi everyone!

I'm a student from America hoping to apply for Jurisprudence, but my SAT score (for the redesigned test) came out a few points lower than the required score, but all my other criteria are in line. Is there any chance I can submit test scores after the UCAS deadline or submit the lower scores and still have a chance of being admitted?

Hi there,

It isn't possible to submit updates to your UCAS form after the Oxbridge deadline in October - if you want to apply with your second round of higher results then you would need to do so in the next application cycle the following year. If you are still keen to apply this year, then it's probably best to email our admissions office: [email protected] to discuss your individual circumstances - no two applicants are the same so it's difficult to give a simple yes/no answer! :-)

Hope this helps,

India
Hello my name is Moises and I want to know what grades I need to have in my GCSE`s or in my A` Level to enter in Oxford University. Can you tell me the expierences and what time do you enter and finish the university every day?

Thanks
Hi LMH,
I'm hoping to apply for English/English and History, but I'm terrified everyone else applying for English will have better close reading skills and perform better in the ELAT and at interview. Do you have any tips for preparing for the ELAT and the interview?
Thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending