The Student Room Group

Phone went off during exam! Help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by not_lucas1
I'm sorry but how does one not feel a massive bulge in their pocket in tight jeans?

I'm just used to it.
Probably just a slap on the wrist and a promise to never do that again.
Original post by Kazmispawn
City university London

Ohhhhhh so you're the reason for the email about "exam irregularities"
Original post by stirkee
I said deserves because there is a clearly set out rule, which is mentioned to students before EVERY single exam. If you still, be it through choice or carelessness, do not abide by what is such a simple and clear rule then in my opinion you deserve anything you get.

The rule is there for a reason. Did the OP cheat, or intend to cheat? No, I don't for one second think that. But the rule is there aiming to nip any potential for cheating in the bud. How can the invigilators be 100% sure that the OP wasn't going to cheat by using that phone? They can't. Leave it in your bag etc and they can. Its such a bloody clear and easy to follow rule (and given OP is a university student I presume they've been in enough exams to know the rule etc) there can really be no excuse.

That wouldn't be justice served. What's the point in them voiding her/his exam for this? What is the point? So they can show that they have power and that laws will be enforced? She wasn't cheating. She made a mistake. She does not deserve to potentially have her career ruined because some arrogant snobby examiners feel like they should. What's it's worth to the examiner? Why would you ruin someone's life when you have a choice to let them off or enforce the rule, if she does get in trouble for this, if I was her parents, or even her herself, the examiner would definitely not be getting away with ruining my child's education because they want some extra brownie points from their boss at ****ing AQA headquarters.
Honestly this is the reason why I just leave my phone at home on exam days, can never be too cautious where one small mistake has the potential to **** things up so badly.

Hopefully the outcome is positive OP, but as mentioned go talk to the people responsible directly
At uni level I wouldn't expect parents to be involved.

P.S AQAis not uni level each uni is its own exam board
Original post by Luiswright31
That wouldn't be justice served. What's the point in them voiding her/his exam for this? What is the point? So they can show that they have power and that laws will be enforced? She wasn't cheating. She made a mistake. She does not deserve to potentially have her career ruined because some arrogant snobby examiners feel like they should. What's it's worth to the examiner? Why would you ruin someone's life when you have a choice to let them off or enforce the rule, if she does get in trouble for this, if I was her parents, or even her herself, the examiner would definitely not be getting away with ruining my child's education because they want some extra brownie points from their boss at ****ing AQA headquarters.

They are at Uni, so why AQA?

Exams have rules. Nobody forced her to take the phone in.
The invigilator was doing the job they were paid to.
Its up to her department to decide. I think she will get a warning. If shed not broken the rules, the invigilator wouldnt have had anything to report. Simplez.
Original post by 999tigger

Its up to her department to decide. I think she will get a warning. If shed not broken the rules, the invigilator wouldnt have had anything to report. Simplez.

Thank you someone with some common sense.

If someone went into a store and shoplifted they get punished. They new it was law they broke it.

No phones is an exam rule your broke it you took that decision
Original post by Kazmispawn
10 minutes to go, my phone goes off in my pocket. It was switched off but it obviously switched itself on in my tight jeans. I got a phone call and the invigilator wrote it down in her incident pad and said she'd send it off to my department.

This is my final exam at university.

What's going to happen ?? I'm really worried.

Examiners are cruel aren't they? Tbh, you shouldn't have brought it, but I think it is very unfair how harsh they are to people. I doubt it will mean anything though.
At least you aren't at my school. Even if you hand your phone to an invigilator before the exam starts, your exam is void.
Original post by aeroline1999
Examiners are cruel aren't they? Tbh, you shouldn't have brought it, but I think it is very unfair how harsh they are to people. I doubt it will mean anything though.

How is what the invigilator did cruel or harsh? They did their job. If i'd been sat near her, then I would have found it a distraction and annoying.

Some institutions will disqualify you just for possession or ask you to leave the exam. Hopefully she will just get a warning and be lucky for that. They remind you before the exam and everyone knows what you are allowed and what you arent.
Original post by Sameerio
And I thought my life was pretty sh*t

To make such an insensitive comment, that is up to question.
I sincerely hope the outcome is positive, however having a phone on your person (even if the battery is detached from the phone) is a simple no-no and would have been ingrained into you since GCSEs.

Unfortunately if they do disqualify you then technically you do deserve it for breaking exam regulations (Sound douchy I know, but rules are rules).

Furthermore invigilators need to err on the absolute side of caution anyway. Also, when you switched it off you could have read notes on your lockscreen as a prompt to help you cheat (Not saying you did, but to the invigilators there is every possibility that you did that).

There shouldn't be any excuse for cheating and all cheaters, in my view should be placed on an "academic crime" list and be barred from gaining any further qualifications and have their previous qualifications rendered null and void. With so many careers and postgrad places (and undergrad if you are doing A Levels) riding on exams, the integrity of these grades have never been more important. How would you feel if someone in the same exam hall as you cheated and thus got better grades and took your rightful place on a course? Personally my head would explode and I would be driven to the brink of suicide if I found that out.

For basic qualifications like GCSEs, I would understand if it was a genuine mistake, however for something as big as a degree at an institution which has the ability offer them, they are accountable for each degree they give out and personally if I was the university I would immediately render that paper as "contaminated" and not be valid, in order to safeguard the integrity of your peers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CrazyFool229
I sincerely hope the outcome is positive, however having a phone on your person (even if the battery is detached from the phone) is a simple no-no and would have been ingrained into you since GCSEs.

Unfortunately if they do disqualify you then technically you do deserve it for breaking exam regulations (Sound douchy I know, but rules are rules).

Highly doubt they will disqualify. They might check it for data, they might fine her for the cost of paying someone to check it, they might just give her a reprimand.

Having just looked at the policy, they check the phone for relevant data. I'd assume there is none on the phone.

They also have the policy where you cnat wear a wrist watch, which I think is rubbish.
How is what the invigilator did cruel or harsh? They did their job. If i'd been sat near her, then I would have found it a distraction and annoying.

Some institutions will disqualify you just for possession or ask you to leave the exam. Hopefully she will just get a warning and be lucky for that. They remind you before the exam and everyone knows what you are allowed and what you arent.

People make mistakes, I'm assuming this was simply an honest mistake because it usually is. Its easy to forget your phone is in your pocket. I do it all the time.
Highly doubt they will disqualify. They might check it for data, they might fine her for the cost of paying someone to check it, they might just give her a reprimand.

Having just looked at the policy, they check the phone for relevant data. I'd assume there is none on the phone.

They also have the policy where you cnat wear a wrist watch, which I think is rubbish.

I agree, I doubt they will disqualify but if they do I think the OP should accept that. People literally depend on these exams for their future and it would be highly unfair to allow the OP to get away with it in the eyes of the other people who sat the exam

People make mistakes, I'm assuming this was simply an honest mistake because it usually is. Its easy to forget your phone is in your pocket. I do it all the time.

People are constantly reminded to surrender their mobile devices though, and the OP is in uni... Probably sat more than 35 exams already prior to this.

You are forgetting this is an exam. they have rules. They know the rules in advance. Nobody else made the mistake. Break the rules and then you put yourself at risk. The OP will have done numerous exams before this , so has no excuse. honest mistake or not she had a phone on her person. Its her responsibility.

Oh and for the OP I doubt they will disqualify you , just give you a reprimand after checking the phone for notes. If you had notes on it the you should speak to your student rep.
(edited 7 years ago)
Why are all the comments saying he shouldn't have brought the phone into the exam, pretty sure he already knew that he shouldn't have, clearly wasn't done on purpose. Anyways hope you have a positive outcome, as long as you politely go talk to anyone in charge with examinations to let them know your situation you may get away with it. Also try not to worry too much, it's not going to make the situation any better.
Reply 58
Thank you to all the positive and helpful messages.

Can I also add the invigilator did check my phone after the exam to see what I was last on, there were no traces of any notes.

?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't go to uni, so I wouldn't have a clue what the examiners are or what they are known as, and I'm not blaming the invigilator btw, they are just the messenger and they are just doing their job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending