The Student Room Group

Younger than me...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamesthehustler
i have to admit i had several relationships all but one had an age gap in which i was the younger one
J was 2 years (y11 and y13)
K was 3 years (collage) (18 and 21)
L was same age (both y10)
D was 5 years (work)(16 and 21)
CO was 1 year (work)(16 and 17)
CH was 1 year (y7 and y8)

I've never dated someone younger than me, the appeal for someone in year 11 whilst I am in year 12 isn't that appealing, not because of the age (partly this because I am 18) but maturity levels, interests and a lot of them aren't on my wavelength. Plus while I will be at university, they will be at school still. Not to mention the social stigma involved.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rhythmical
I've never dated someone younger than me, the appeal for someone in year 11 whilst I am in year 12 isn't that appealing, not because of the age (partly this because I am 18) but maturity levels, interests and a lot of them aren't on my wavelength. Plus while I will be at university, they will be at school till. Not to mention the social stigma involve.

it just worked for me i never actually tried that hard with most of these girls to get them they would come on to me
i don't know why as i'm average in every way back then par my jewellery expertise but there must be something more to it that knowing how to tell a a real rolex from a fake and how to price a diamond on the spot
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 16 and a half, and have moved from my old school for 6th form. My old school was very small, everybody knows everybody. There's this one boy in year 9, age 14 who I'm friends with. We have been teased for the past few years (especially when we go to sailing club) about being together, but everyone knows it's just a joke. I liked someone else at the time anyway. But since spending so much time away from him, I've realised that we get on quite well, he always makes me laugh and we will give each other friendly hugs and stuff. In the future I see him being an amazing husband and father to someone. I LOVE him, and have a massive crush. I've recently been dreaming about kissing him, and being held in his arms, and it was the best dream I've had for ages!Next time I see him, in the school holidays, I want to let him know subtly that I like him more than just a friend. How can I do this?? I don't want to scare him, and don't know if he feels the same way, I think he may have done once but we don't get to see much of each other anymore. I don't know if a relationship at this time would be convenient, it would be his call. But I just need him to know what how much he means to me!!Also, do you think the age gap is too big/just weird and unnatural??Any opinions and advice is welcome!!Thanks xx

At the end of the day, you and him will know if it is right or not, or perhaps continue being friends and start something up in a few years would be the best I don' know.
a girl in my school was in year 11 and dated a year 8 and it worked ok for them

That's the same age gap that we have in school terms.... But I'm the youngest in my year and he's one of the oldest, not its not actually 3 years
I've never dated someone younger than me, the appeal for someone in year 11 whilst I am in year 12 isn't that appealing, not because of the age (partly this because I am 18) but maturity levels, interests and a lot of them aren't on my wavelength. Plus while I will be at university, they will be at school till. Not to mention the social stigma involve.

I do see where you're coming from maturity wise....
However, I guess I'm a bit weird: I love my friends when I meet up with them and stuff, but I'd rather go with my sister (11) and her friends, rolling down hills, climbing trees and making dens.
I can fit in with people my age, and academically I'm the right age, doing well in school. But the true me is socially young for my age. For example, around Christmas time, just around the corner were a grim of people from my year, all sat talking, and some smoking and stuff, trying to be cool. Little did they know, I was just around the corner with my sister, her friend, and my next door neighbour (2 years younger) having a VERY fun game of catch with my dogs ball, and rolling around on the grass.
Yes, my friends would have judged me if they saw me, but they know that I'm not exactly the best at fitting in with them anyway, and they know ME. And tbh, I was happy and having a lot more fun than I ever would with them, so I wouldn't really care what they think.
Reply 25
Original post by GwynLordOfCinder
Apart from the statutory rape

I thought there was no such thing under UK law
I do see where you're coming from maturity wise....
However, I guess I'm a bit weird: I love my friends when I meet up with them and stuff, but I'd rather go with my sister (11) and her friends, rolling down hills, climbing trees and making dens.
I can fit in with people my age, and academically I'm the right age, doing well in school. But the true me is socially young for my age. For example, around Christmas time, just around the corner were a grim of people from my year, all sat talking, and some smoking and stuff, trying to be cool. Little did they know, I was just around the corner with my sister, her friend, and my next door neighbour (2 years younger) having a VERY fun game of catch with my dogs ball, and rolling around on the grass.
Yes, my friends would have judged me if they saw me, but they know that I'm not exactly the best at fitting in with them anyway, and they know ME. And tbh, I was happy and having a lot more fun than I ever would with them, so I wouldn't really care what they think.

I completely understand what you are saying. I fell for my best friend who is a year younger than me, things didn't work out, he changed and we became distant and I now realised how different things became purely of how separated we were.

A lot of my friends are either younger/older than me and if it makes you happy then you should do exactly that, just be careful not to do anything sexual and make sure he feels the same, he could be just looking for a friendhsop right now or a casual relationship.

it just worked for me i never actually tried that hard with most of these girls to get them they would come on to me
i don't know why as i'm average in every way back then par my jewellery expertise but there must be something more to it that knowing how to tell a a real rolex from a fake and how to price a diamond on the spot

Would you say, they wanted you because you were older and felt more attracted to you based on that? I know girls like that who date older guys to look up to them and "seem cool" against other girls and because they feel it is exciting and thrilling.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reue
I thought there was no such thing under UK law

Indecent assault then
Indecent assault then

Okaaaaaayy! I was never planning a sexual relationship, I'm not ready for that and doubt he is either. Even if we both were, I wouldn't want to have sex with anyone underage.
so lovely :3

Would you say, they wanted you because you were older and felt more attracted to you based on that? I know girls like that who date older guys to look up to them and "seem cool" against other girls and because they feel it is exciting and thrilling.

nno as the thing is i was the younger one they were all older than me which didn't make sense as i wasn't the hottest one or the richest one or the smartest one by any means i was a quiet loner for the first couple of years but later on i became a more connected guy as i started selling in school
nno as the thing is i was the younger one they were all older than me which didn't make sense as i wasn't the hottest one or the richest one or the smartest one by any means i was a quiet loner for the first couple of years but later on i became a more connected guy as i started selling in school

Hmm, would you say that they took advantage of you? Maybe it's because some older guys go off their rails etc, date young girls so they thought that they'd do the same because they liked you because the older guys weren't free?
Hmm, would you say that they took advantage of you? Maybe it's because some older guys go off their rails etc, date young girls so they thought that they'd do the same because they liked you because the older guys weren't free?

that certainly a different theory but most of them were genuine some made more sense than others as
say L it was that we shared a desk in business class and well i was a better student in the subject so it started as revision and notes taking then we ended up in a drama group and it went from there
K was similar in that we both in the same class and i was a stronger student then we had a team working project that was it
J i met on the school bus and well close confines as one of my only friends on there for a couple of hours a day she taught me polish and well i just talked diamonds even then
the work ones and CH were more about that we were all in close confines for hours at a time that relationships just happened although CH i had know since i was a few weeks old as we had been neighbours during my early life
that certainly a different theory but most of them were genuine some made more sense than others as
say L it was that we shared a desk in business class and well i was a better student in the subject so it started as revision and notes taking then we ended up in a drama group and it went from there
K was similar in that we both in the same class and i was a stronger student then we had a team working project that was it
J i met on the school bus and well close confines as one of my only friends on there for a couple of hours a day she taught me polish and well i just talked diamonds even then
the work ones and CH were more about that we were all in close confines for hours at a time that relationships just happened although CH i had know since i was a few weeks old as we had been neighbours during my early life

Ah right. That's interesting. It's almost always the other way round but the motives and intentions behind guys chasing young girls is more messed up (so I know through real life experiences of friends). Would you now, date a younger person where the age gap was considered "morally" wrong?
Ah right. That's interesting. It's almost always the other way round but the motives and intentions behind guys chasing young girls is more messed up (so I know through real life experiences of friends). Would you now, date a younger person where the age gap was considered "morally" wrong?

no i think i'd stick to women who are a little older than me the are more sensible and better tuned to my mental pattern and understand that work is important and and are far far more interested in saving rather than spending unlike most women my age who are still clubbing every weekend and spending all there money on make-up rather than making more money to invest and make enough back to buy makeup too
no i think i'd stick to women who are a little older than me the are more sensible and better tuned to my mental pattern and understand that work is important and and are far far more interested in saving rather than spending unlike most women my age who are still clubbing every weekend and spending all there money on make-up rather than making more money to invest and make enough back to buy makeup too

Makes sense and whatever makes you happy. I hate how people say you can't date someone younger than you and that men should be older than women, since when did this become the rule?
Reply 36
I'm 16 and a half, and have moved from my old school for 6th form. My old school was very small, everybody knows everybody. There's this one boy in year 9, age 14 who I'm friends with. We have been teased for the past few years (especially when we go to sailing club) about being together, but everyone knows it's just a joke. I liked someone else at the time anyway. But since spending so much time away from him, I've realised that we get on quite well, he always makes me laugh and we will give each other friendly hugs and stuff. In the future I see him being an amazing husband and father to someone. I LOVE him, and have a massive crush. I've recently been dreaming about kissing him, and being held in his arms, and it was the best dream I've had for ages!Next time I see him, in the school holidays, I want to let him know subtly that I like him more than just a friend. How can I do this?? I don't want to scare him, and don't know if he feels the same way, I think he may have done once but we don't get to see much of each other anymore. I don't know if a relationship at this time would be convenient, it would be his call. But I just need him to know what how much he means to me!!Also, do you think the age gap is too big/just weird and unnatural??Any opinions and advice is welcome!!Thanks xx

First off, I don't think you love him ,it's a crush that's all it is.

Second, how would you know he'll be an amazing husband and father? He's 14 you muppet.

Eh age gap isn't too bad, maybe wait till he's 15.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think it is too much of an issue tbh. At the moment I like someone a year younger than me and it is kinda weird at this point because he's in the process of finishing his GCSES whereas I'm doing my A levels (equivalents) but when I talk to him I don't see the age or maturity as an issue because we're in the same age group-ish so it doesn't feel like there is really an age gap there? My situation's similar to yours in the sense that I don't get to see him a lot but what I would suggest is just try focusing on your studies until you see him next, use him as motivation in a way. That's what I'm doing atm. When you don't see someone for a while you can imagine them slightly differently to how they are because you aren't around them all the time which can lead to disappointment when you do see them
Makes sense and whatever makes you happy. I hate how people say you can't date someone younger than you and that men should be older than women, since when did this become the rule?

and women by that point know what they want you can buy a pair of diamond studs for any girl but if a woman prefers sapphires or opals, emerald or ruby then they will say so then they will say so
when humans still lived in caves, i believe
A sixth former having a crush on a 14 year old boy is the strangest thing I've ever heard. Have you see 14 year old boys? wth...

but then I guess if that's what you're into then go for it?
Apart from the statutory rape

A 14 year old boy is not gonna complain if he gets it on consensually with a 16 year old girl really, is he?

So long as both parties kept it quiet theoretically it'd be chill.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending