Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

English Literature HELP!

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi, I have my AQA English Literature exam on Monday, for AIC and OMAM, and am extremely worried about it. I really want an A* in English Literature. I think I have some talent for English but am still dreading the exam as I don't know HOW to answer the questions. My teacher has not been helpful- all we focus on is general understanding of the texts without actually practising writing answers and we NEVER get feedback on how to improve. I achieved an A*- 60/68- on the mock, however I am completely unsure of the marking and the exam technique. In the mock I approached the questions by taking a few quotes in section b part a and 3 quotes in part b and section a. I analysed the quotes in detail but feel that if anything I over-analysed and detracted from the value of the answer by making extremely far-fetched interpretations quite clearly far from the author's intentions. Also, I wrote far more for OMAM- and my part b was roughly the same length as my whole AIC essay. How many quotes are recommended for a guaranteed A* and how should each paragraph be structured. Thanks for any help!

Hi, don't worry at all! With that mock result, you obviously have a grasp on how to write the answers!

My method for Of Mice and Men is to say a lot about a little; if you feel like you're going too far with analysis you're doing it right! One tip is to mostly ignore context on question a and focus on Steinbeck's meaning.
    As far as structure goes, I'd say literally work your way through the given text and everytime you hit a new point you want to write about start there. USE DISCOURSE MARKERS IF YOU ARE EVER STUCK ON WHERE TO START- e.g first, second, this, because.

For section 2 focus on context and the meaning of phrases or even full scenes and their relevance and poignance.

I do Lord Of The Flies, but the same applies for An Inspector Calls, again A LOT ABOUT A LITTLE- YOU CAN MAKE ANY POINT IF YOU HAVE EVIDENCE FROM THE TEXT THAT SUPPORTS OR IMPLIES IT. I'd recommend learning a couple of key quotes for each character and some that sum up the idea of the text. (For LOTF it's "Ralph wept for the end of innocence, the darkness of man's heart"). Again- overanalyse as the markers use a best fit model and you want to be up into band 5 and 6. Band 6 requires "Insightful exploratory response" so think creatively! I've once said that Ralph and Jack from LOTF are a couple, and that Lennie is autistic and it's exploratory! You need to wow an examiner- remember they have 100's of other papers about the same text to read!

Good Luck!
    Hope this helped!

Hi! Don't worry, you know, it isn't so difficult as it may seem.

It will be a huge plus for you, if you give a brief personality sketch of the author. There's no need to write the date of birth, a quantity of written books or an ordinary sentence such as ''he was a famous author'' (everybody knows that), because this information has no value. It is important to expand the innovatory aspects the author brought to the world of literature.

Then, define the theme of the given expert/text. Also, explain the stylistic role (stylistic devices), comment on the narrative method and think about the slant of the text (what effect is created).

Keep in mind about the structure of the answer. Actually, it reminds the persuasive essay, so you task is to formulate the message of the text, corroborating your point of view. More easy to learn techniques are depicted in this article
    https://unplag.com/blog/how-to-write...suasive-essay/ which may help you to overcome the fear of writing answers

Good luck!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.