The Student Room Group

Do looks matter to you?

Do you think that looks matter when it comes to a prospective boyfriend or girlfriend? I'm particularly interested in hearing from other girls, seems like a lot of us say looks don't matter. But I personally think they do, I wonder if some women say that so they don't look shallow. On the other hand, their sentiments might be genuine. Thoughts please.(:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, of course.
It does matter, but not the sole reason you'd get in a relationship with someone
I mean I have to be attracted to them but personality is more important.
100% yes
Reply 5
If someone had all of your desired traits but you didn't find them attractive, would you want to pursue a relationship or would you leave it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by G-mute1995
If someone had all of your desired traits but you didn't find them attractive, would you want to pursue a relationship or would you leave it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they had all the desired traits an ideal boyfriend had then yes definitely because the moment you have fallen for their personality and traits is the moment you would see how beautiful their soul is which gets reflected upon their attractiveness (looks). So even though others may think that he or she isn't attractive but in your eyes they will be as their face is the mirror of their soul and heart :wink:
Absolutely, I need that mutual sexual attraction to get that "spark".
Reply 8
Original post by FemaleBo55
If they had all the desired traits an ideal boyfriend had then yes definitely because the moment you have fallen for their personality and traits is the moment you would see how beautiful their soul is which gets reflected upon their attractiveness (looks). So even though others may think that he or she isn't attractive but in your eyes they will be as their face is the mirror of their soul and heart :wink:

Exactly this ^ I've met people before and not thought a huge amount of their looks but once I got to know them and their personality I've found them really attractive physically, so if I liked them enough for who they are the physical attractiveness would come too. :smile:
I have to be somewhat attracted to someone's appearance to consider dating them.
That said, I'm in agreement with @FemaleBo55 that one's personality can demonstrate how beautiful they are, and that radiates attractiveness.
Having persevered with partners who were my romantic ideal save for their physical proportions, I've drawn the conclusion that—notwithstanding a distinct affinity for 'Dobby' types—when it comes to relationship potential I'm decidedly less forgiving of a graceless, excessively overweight or otherwise misshapen and distended physique than I am towards merely 'unconventional' aesthetic attributes.

Slightly regrettable, as I can think of two or three girls I might still be with now if it were otherwise; but hey, such is the gamut (and gauntlet) of sexual preference.
Original post by G-mute1995
Do you think that looks matter when it comes to a prospective boyfriend or girlfriend? I'm particularly interested in hearing from other girls, seems like a lot of us say looks don't matter. But I personally think they do, I wonder if some women say that so they don't look shallow. On the other hand, their sentiments might be genuine. Thoughts please.(:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looks 100% do matter, at least to me personally. He doesn't have to be stereotypically tall, dark and chieseled jawbones with brown eyes and muscles to attract me but he does have to have a nice face
Reply 12
Unless it's someone I've known, or spent any decent amount of time around (like at work, or school) I really have nothing to go off of besides their outer appearance and maybe catching glimpses into their personality. To approach someone who I'd like to get to know/ask on a date, I have to have some kind of physical attraction to spark my curiosity. It may start as something as small as seeing a band name on their shirt that I dig to get me looking, but then catching the sound of their laugh and how cute their smile is can gain my attention.

I definitely think there has to be a physical attraction, later you may find their personality, personal habits or what have you aren't attractive and that fades the curiosity, but everyone has some physical attribute that is attractive to someone else.
for me they need to be at least avg then personaloty can do the rest of the work
Looks matter to me and I think they matter to most people. I think a lot of girls say no to appear not to be shallow.
I mean, yes personality is very important as well of course but without physical attraction then you are just friends.
I wouldn't want to date someone that wasn't physically attracted to me either, I think that is an also important aspect.
Looks are the first thing people get attracted to because no one will ever be like "omg you're so nice" for the first impression.
To a certain extent girls don't care, they're more flexible when it comes to looks as long as the guy isn't revolting. I see so many girls that are outside a guys league because his charm over shadows his looks. For me it's money now, I can be flexible if he has $$$$$.
I don't think it's that "looks matter". It matters far more that the person has a good personality, but the only way you can find out if they have that is by speaking to them. And how do you decide who to go and speak to out of a bunch of people you know absolutely nothing about? Might as well pick someone who you think looks good.
Of course looks matter at the very beginning. You need that instant attraction to someone in order to get closer to them and find out more about them. Once the relationship is on its feet then looks is nowhere near as important as how well you click with them and everything else but to get things going, I do believe having a physical attraction to them is crucial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, looks don't matter to me

Quick Reply