The Student Room Group

Why do men still get married?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Twinpeaks
It will take me a while to educate someone that ignorant, don't worry I'm going to work on it, but I'd have to start from the beginning. Perhaps you'd be next judging by your previous post which is nothing short of hilarious.

You've taken a lot of time to say that your opponents are stupid, evil people and certainly wrong, but much less to say why. Your posts are just spluttering. If you have nothing to say, say nothing!

You seem to think that a child raised in a toxic environment by cohabiting parents who cannot communicate effectively without argument and insult is better than a single parent family where the child receives quality parenting from each parent alone. Or a famy with a step-parent.

Right now I haven't the time to waste on people like you, but if you're interested there's plenty of research out there, something like this maybe

http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/ccp/59/5/753/
Nothing I said was in terms of the child's welfare. If a man and a woman can't coordinate long enough to have a child, the child won't even exist.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by thefatone
1. i'm a male not female(my avatar makes ppl assume this)
2. i don't ever want marriage or a partner or children
that's it i don't want to ever go into the world of marriage in terms of including myself in it

Well there are similar arrangements. Take for example if you start a business with a close friend. Say its a "Tea Room". One friend puts in most of the money, but as they have a job in the city they cannot put in much time. The other friend does most of the work to make the "Tea Room" beautiful, and a great place for people to come, rest and get good food and drink.

The business is set up 50:50. If ever the friends fall out, they both get 50%.

If you don't do it as a legal 50:50 (eg a marriage) the friend that put in the money would probably own 100% of everything and the other friend would get nothing.

A non marriage relationship or a non legal partnership is probably a horrible thing to want.
Original post by FredOrJohn
Well there are similar arrangements. Take for example if you start a business with a close friend. Say its a "Tea Room". One friend puts in most of the money, but as they have a job in the city they cannot put in much time. The other friend does most of the work to make the "Tea Room" beautiful, and a great place for people to come, rest and get good food and drink.

If you don't do it as a legal 50:50 (eg a marriage) the friend that put in the money would probably own 100% of everything and the other friend would get nothing.

A non marriage relationship or a non legal partnership is probably a horrible thing to want.

That is the problem
which is fair
Original post by ivybridge
More likely that the man is the adulterer, though...

http://www.statisticbrain.com/infidelity-statistics/

Utter bs and irrelevant regardless

This is called a joint stock company. Paying employees at start-ups in shares rather than salary is a very common practice and generally doesn't involve the founder marrying all his employees.

I find your focus on marriage as a way of finding business partners a bit weird to be honest.
A friend of mine , married with two kids Caught his wife in their bed with another man.
She kicked him out and divorced him.
She is still in the family home while he is in a bedsit trying to pay for the house the kids and his bedsit. She got custody even though the kids were there when she was at it with the other guy, who is now round there 3 or 4 nights a week.
He's had to take on another job just to keep his head above water.
Your right about 50% of marriages going vdown the $hitter. I wonder how many guys would go sky diving if 50% of parachutes didn't open?
70_80% of marriages are filed for by the
woman. You have to wonder if they would be so
popular with women if they were the ones that ended up living in the bedsit eating p
otnoodles and running two jobs so that they could pay for everything while her ex bangs the woman that broke them up in the family home?
Reproduction outside marriage is a catastrophe. This is where all our traffic congestion comes from, not from immigration or too many ***** driving to work but from fathers driving around the country between all the different offspring that they've sired
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
It's 2016 and people still believe in the gender pay gap..............I'll take this one.

The pay gap is absolutely a construct. Like, it's utterly refuted. The regularly quoted figure is something like women earn around 20% less than men. This figure is arrived at by adding up all the money men and women earn, and comparing the numbers. This is obviously a daft way to do such a comparison. If you compare men and women in the same role, working the same hours and with the same level of education, the pay gap drops to between 3% in favour of men, to 3% in favour of women. In fact, under the age of 35, the pay gap is most definitely in favour of women.

Aside from anything else that will lead into this going too off-topic, that's an irrelevant comparison for the purposes of this particular thread and what the previous poster was talking about, which is about the income disparity within the context of a marriage, rather than within an industry or the economy in general.
go ahead stay single in a long term relationship with kids. It would make you scum in my book,
but also doomed to fail in life, so I guess that is karma.

How so? Cohabitation is a perfectly viable alternative to marriage, and living as a family without having gotten dressed up and signed a bit of paper isn't somehow worse. The tax breaks and that there's more legal protection for spouses than cohabitation partners if one dies, as well as the bias towards married men in terms of hiring/promotion/pay rises (which at least existed a couple of years ago, not seen recent stats) would make it still worth getting married, but choosing not to hardly makes someone scum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
How so? Cohabitation is a perfectly viable alternative to marriage, and living as a family without having gotten dressed up and signed a bit of paper isn't somehow worse. The tax breaks and that there's more legal protection for spouses than cohabitation partners if one dies, as well as the bias towards married men in terms of hiring/promotion/pay rises (which at least existed a couple of years ago, not seen recent stats) would make it still worth getting married, but choosing not to hardly makes someone scum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because the unmarried spouse has no rights over the over persons property or share of pension etc etc. The unmarried spouse is not an equal partner. Its basically, 9 times out of 10, a man treating a woman badly. He, 9 times out of 10, would be scum.

A marriage should be a partnership otherwise its abuse.
Because the unmarried spouse has no rights over the over persons property or share of pension etc etc. The unmarried spouse is not an equal partner. Its basically, 9 times out of 10, a man treating a woman badly
. He, 9 times out of 10, would be scum.

A marriage should be a partnership otherwise its abuse.

Any statistics to back up this claim?
And you can be a partnership without having a wedding

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Malayali Ali
Reproduction outside marriage is a catastrophe. This is where all our traffic congestion comes from, not from immigration or too many ***** driving to work but from fathers driving around the country between all the different offspring that they've sired

To say nothing of the housing/accommodation shortage.😞
I've been struggling to see much of a point in marriage even if you take away all this divorce stuff. I'm just not quite sure what overall purpose it serves
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Any statistics to back up this claim?
And you can be a partnership without having a wedding

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes its all over the internet. If you are in a non-married relationship your male partner is miles more likely to beat you and your children up, even to the point of death. It is not even close. (Just a casual look up and you will find it all - much of it academic research)

However, this physical abuse is the tip of the iceberg. The real problem is the control .
Yes its all over the internet. If you are in a non-married relationship your male partner is miles more likely to beat you and your children up, even to the point of death.

This is because cohabitation is a lower class habit in our societies. When everyone tended to get married and cohabitation was in effect socially not allowed, these lower class people beat their wives. The problem is the people, not the institutions.
Reply 75
You gotta put a ring on it and lock that bitch down yo!

Quick Reply