The Student Room Group

AQA Core 2 Maths prep. thread (25/05/16)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by SunDun111
Got a question

Log (base 3) XY = 5
Log (Base 3) X Multiplied by Log (base 3) Y = 6,

solve the simultaneus equation any ideas?

Split the first log up into the sum of 2 logs and then make a substitution of say a=log3x a= \log_3x and b=log3y b=\log_3y . Might make it easier to see.
If you have a question like 3^(2x-1) = 5, in aqa core 2 you can just use your calculator's log function to work it out i.e. log 3 5 = 2x-1?
Original post by B_9710
Split the first log up into the sum of 2 logs and then make a substitution of say a=log3x a= \log_3x and b=log3y b=\log_3y . Might make it easier to see.

cant do it still? can you expand
Reply 83
cant do it still? can you expand

So we have log3x+log3y=5 \log_3x+\log_3y=5
and log3xlog3y=6 \log_3x \cdot \log_3y=6 .
If we let a=log3x a=\log_3x and b=log3y b=\log_3y we get the simultaneous equations as

a+b=5 a+b=5 and ab=6 ab=6 .
You think you can take it from here?
Original post by B_9710
So we have log3x+log3y=5 \log_3x+\log_3y=5
and log3xlog3y=6 \log_3x \cdot \log_3y=6 .
If we let a=log3x a=\log_3x and b=log3y b=\log_3y we get the simultaneous equations as

a+b=5 a+b=5 and ab=6 ab=6 .
You think you can take it from here?

Yeah did it thanks!
Original post by RueXO
I'm doing AQA, if it's not in your textbook then you probably don't have it in your spec

Yup, thought so, thank you
quick question guys, whenever they is a minus outside say for example .. - root 4, would the answer be minus 2?

another question on that, if i have x^0.5 = -2, woul the answer be 4?
Reply 87
Great to see everybody helping each other, really proud of everyone! Good luck tomorrow on core 2 guys, hopefully it will be a decent paper! We can then make an unofficial mark scheme tomorrow
Reply 88
quick question guys, whenever they is a minus outside say for example .. - root 4, would the answer be minus 2?

yes that is correct! :smile:
Reply 89

x0 \sqrt{x} \geq 0 .
x2 \sqrt{x} \neq -2 .
If you graph y=x y=\sqrt x then the range is y0 y \geq 0 .
So x=2 \sqrt x = -2 has no solutions.
On the spec for aqa it says that you should use mathematical notation in your working like the 'therefore' symbol. I've been using arrows to show the progression of my working but apparently the arrow means 'implies', so if I use symbols incorrectly but my working is still correct will I be ok?
In C2 for logarithms how do you manipulate a question with three minus logs??
Coz I know that when there's a minus you divide the logs but how do you do that if there are three minuses??

Ex: log(2)11x+3 - log(2)5x - 2log(2)x = 1
Please help 😭😭😭
Original post by B_9710
x0 \sqrt{x} \geq 0 .
x2 \sqrt{x} \neq -2 .
If you graph y=x y=\sqrt x then the range is y0 y \geq 0 .
So x=2 \sqrt x = -2 has no solutions.

kinda confused me haha, so the square root of - 4 (when minus is on the outside) has no solutiosn?
Original post by CrystalPark
In C2 for logarithms how do you manipulate a question with three minus logs??
Coz I know that when there's a minus you divide the logs but how do you do that if there are three minuses??

Ex: log(2)11x+3 - log(2)5x - 2log(2)x = 1
Please help 😭😭😭

take one of them to the other side, and turn the 1 into a log, so you get two logs on each side when they are all combines, so the logs cancel.
Reply 94
kinda confused me haha, so the square root of - 4 (when minus is on the outside) has no solutiosn?

That's not quite what i'm saying. 4=2 -\sqrt 4 =-2 and that's perfectly well defined. 4=2i \sqrt{-4} =2i which of course is not a real number. However you simply cannot have x=2 \sqrt x =-2 . You can square both sides and get x=4, but putting x=4 into the square root returns 2, not -2. Taking the square root of a number never gives you a negative number.
take one of them to the other side, and turn the 1 into a log, so you get two logs on each side when they are all combines, so the logs cancel.

So would you turn 1 into log(2)2 and then cancel the logs??
Does that work??
good luck everyone
How was it? Did anyone get a = 28, d = -2 and (2x - 5)(2x - 5) = 0 for the last question?
Original post by rifat12345
How was it? Did anyone get a = 28, d = -2 and (2x - 5)(2x - 5) = 0 for the last question?

Yes last one x=5/2
Was the translation for the (1/5)x a reflection in the y-axis?

Quick Reply

Latest