The Student Room Group

Struggling in English Lit

I have my exam exam this Monday and at the moment i don't know what to write. In school we never done a mock so i dont know how to deal with the questions.
My current grade is around a D/C.
The exam is going to be ion AIC and OMAN.
I just wanna know how much do i need to write, what to include, how to structure the answer to get a C or a B.
I got 2 days to revise.
Please help me
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Helpmepickone
I have my exam exam this Monday and at the moment i don't know what to write. In school we never done a mock so i dont know how to deal with the questions.
My current grade is around a D/C.
The exam is going to be ion AIC and OMAN.
I just wanna know how much do i need to write, what to include, how to structure the answer to get a C or a B.
I got 2 days to revise.
Please help me
Thanks

in the exam, the questions for the novels will always be about either a character or a theme. for your structure, you should have a short introduction. like "Priestley uses alot of devices along with the characters to start his message of... etc..
for the paragraphs, try to remember this LIST. its a Short for Language, Imagery, Structure and Tone or Theme. you have to include these things in your paragraphs. also, you should have alot of key quotes to show further understanding. you should make sure that they are eaclty from the text. the quotes can be even one words, like "squiffy". to input this into your answer, you can say ' Eric is desribed as "Squiffy", which suggests that he is always drunk'. or you can input it like this. 'eric is always drunk. in other words "Squiffy".'.. however you input your quotes, you must put thw quotation marks to show the use of quotes. for every paragraph you right (in this case 4 main paragraphs if your following LIST), you should folow PEE, which stands for point, evidence, exlanation. its staright forward. you write your point, you write your evidence which is your quote, then you explain how does it show your validity or your point.
and lastly for the comclusion. now sometimes it askes you whether the writer was successful in sending his message to the audienc. in this case it is complelty up to you whetehr you agree or disagree. you just have to say whether you agre and disagree and state breifly why.

i have the same exam as well on monday. so, Goodluck!!
practice past paper questions, and follow this. and you'll be ready!
Original post by rafraf
in the exam, the questions for the novels will always be about either a character or a theme. for your structure, you should have a short introduction. like "Priestley uses alot of devices along with the characters to start his message of... etc..
for the paragraphs, try to remember this LIST. its a Short for Language, Imagery, Structure and Tone or Theme. you have to include these things in your paragraphs. also, you should have alot of key quotes to show further understanding. you should make sure that they are eaclty from the text. the quotes can be even one words, like "squiffy". to input this into your answer, you can say ' Eric is desribed as "Squiffy", which suggests that he is always drunk'. or you can input it like this. 'eric is always drunk. in other words "Squiffy".'.. however you input your quotes, you must put thw quotation marks to show the use of quotes. for every paragraph you right (in this case 4 main paragraphs if your following LIST), you should folow PEE, which stands for point, evidence, exlanation. its staright forward. you write your point, you write your evidence which is your quote, then you explain how does it show your validity or your point.
and lastly for the comclusion. now sometimes it askes you whether the writer was successful in sending his message to the audienc. in this case it is complelty up to you whetehr you agree or disagree. you just have to say whether you agre and disagree and state breifly why.

i have the same exam as well on monday. so, Goodluck!!
practice past paper questions, and follow this. and you'll be ready!

Thanks, would that be good enough for a C? Like if i follow all that structure?
Reply 3
Thanks, would that be good enough for a C? Like if i follow all that structure?

the structure alone would get you a D. to get a B or a C, you need to show sound understanding and uderstanding of the test evident in th response. commnets about the writer's use of characterisation/theme/plot/setting for literary effects show sound appreciation of the writer's craft. Engagement with the text is sound, examples used clearly relevant. and where respons requires consideration of 2 or more features, a clear balance is evident. (this is from the marking shceme)
for more you should be able to find in the marking schemes onling. just search for edexcel english literature igcse past papers and click on the one that says from 2009. youll find all the past papers from 2011 up till last year. youll also find the marking schemes for them
i hope this has helped.
Original post by rafraf
the structure alone would get you a D. to get a B or a C, you need to show sound understanding and uderstanding of the test evident in th response. commnets about the writer's use of characterisation/theme/plot/setting for literary effects show sound appreciation of the writer's craft. Engagement with the text is sound, examples used clearly relevant. and where respons requires consideration of 2 or more features, a clear balance is evident. (this is from the marking shceme)
for more you should be able to find in the marking schemes onling. just search for edexcel english literature igcse past papers and click on the one that says from 2009. youll find all the past papers from 2011 up till last year. youll also find the marking schemes for them
i hope this has helped.

I'm doing AQA
Reply 5
I'm doing AQA

you should still be able to find past papers for whateevr programme youre doing. but if you dont, then believe it or not, they're all similar. theyll have almost the same grade boundries and the same qualifications.

Quick Reply

Latest