The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths Higher

Just wondering, can pie charts come up in the higher tier paper? My teacher has never taught us it.
It wouldn't hurt to learn it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RS012
Just wondering, can pie charts come up in the higher tier paper? My teacher has never taught us it.

Yup, I remember having to complete one in a past paper, but it was only three marks or so
They're not too hard to learn so you may as well, but they hardly ever come up so you might wanna concentrate your revision on something else
Yeah, it's all about the skill of knowing how to use a protractor and the use of 360 degrees, etc.
Yeah I doubt it will come up again but it did come up once, if they give you values you just have to convert them into degrees really, it came up on a 2011 paper-so due to the exams getting harder i wouldntthink it would come up again
Original post by chrlhyms
if they give you values you just have to convert them into degrees really

Sorry for being such a doofus, but how do you convert numbers into degrees?
Original post by roobyruth

Calculate the total frequency by adding the individual frequencies together, then work out the fraction each one represents e.g. say it was how many cars seen on a road one day
Blue - 15
Red - 10
Green - 20
Yellow -27
Total frequency would be 72, then just do each individual one over 72: blue cars would be 15/72
Multiply each fraction by 360 for the number of degrees it represents (15/72 × 360 = 75 degrees) :smile: sorry if that wasn't very clear!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by roobyruth

Ahhhh, okay so basically say if the frequency of apples was 5 and then the total fruit was 80, all you would do is 5/80 x 360

Hope this helped!
Do you think Edexcel are gonna go easy on us considering its the last year ?
Reply 9
Original post by Adoomy_sm
Do you think Edexcel are gonna go easy on us considering its the last year ?

They can't make the paper extremely difficult because it tests grade D, C and B stuff as well as the A* stuff. If they make the paper easy though that will mean higher grade boundaries and everyone makes silly mistakes!
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
Calculate the total frequency by adding the individual frequencies together, then work out the fraction each one represents e.g. say it was how many cars seen on a road one day
Blue - 15
Red - 10
Green - 20
Yellow -27
Total frequency would be 72, then just do each individual one over 72: blue cars would be 15/72
Multiply each fraction by 360 for the number of degrees it represents (15/72 × 360 = 75 degrees) :smile: sorry if that wasn't very clear!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay, that was actually really well explained! Thanks for laying it out so clearly (and not making me feel like a idiot :colondollar:)!

Quick Reply

Latest