The Student Room Group

Been reported for harrassment to the police.

I posted in this section because I want this post to be anonymous.

I received a text and voicemail from the police with regards to harassment on Monday 16th May. They informed me on the voicemail not to continue contact with the person and that my local police would be getting in touch with me 'shortly'.

It's now Saturday and so far I haven't heard anything. I've been so scared and sick all week. I know what I've done is wrong, but I haven't contacted the person at all this week after that voicemail. The voicemail itself sounded like a warning, but why did they say the local police will be in touch?

I'm just very confused and lost and don't know what to expect at the moment. Serious answers please.

Scroll to see replies

If it was that serious, I'm sure that would have dealt with it almost instantly..
It shouldn't be much to worry about
Their main intention was probably to scare you; which they seem to have been successful at.

Just be more cautious next time, and think about what you're doing and how it affects other people and yourself.

There's nothing else you can do. If you get reprimanded, it was your own fault (depending on what you did).
It might not actually be from the police and could be someone playing a joke on you? Since when did the police leave voicemails?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
It might not actually be from the police and could be someone playing a joke on you? Since when did the police leave voicemails?

I thought that at first, but I double-checked the details they left in the text message and it was legitimate.
why dont you just forget about it, if they havent contacted you it should matter should it?
Reply 6
I'm not convinced that the police leave voice messages. Afterall, they can't be sure that you'll ever receive it. I'd have thought they'd at least send you a letter as well. I've never know that to happen before. Are you sure it was the police? It sounds like it could've been some other institution letting you know that the police have been informed? Either way sounds a bit dodgy to me. I mean, why would you contact a potential criminal to let the know that the police are on there way? It gives them every opportunity to pack up and run away! Very strange.

That said, if the police are aware of the incident they will have to open a formal investigation (which can take a few weeks), before they come and arrest you/interview you.

I suggest you keep your head down, get on with your life as best you can for the next month or two. If you haven't heard anything I'd presume that they aren't going to contact you and that will be the end of it. Just don't, under any circumstances, contact the person you harassed or any of their close friends or family. It might also be worth looking for potential solicitors.

the police do sometimes leave voicemails, a police officer who came to my house after I reported that my ex wouldn't leave me alone and id seen him on my street that morning (he lives on the other side of the city and had no job so had no reason to be there) left one for him telling him to stop harassing me and told me to report and record any further incidents of contact.
Plan for the worst-case.
Write down key dates, events, potential witnesses and other evidence (texts, emails etc).
Find a solicitor with experience of such cases. Find out what's required if you hire the firm (money up-front, documents etc).
No contact with the other person.
If the police call you for interview lawyer up.
Do, don't stew.
You will know in time whether it was correct, but they should have left identifying details.

You have no right to harass people, so perhaps you are now having a small taste about what it feels like.
They wouldnt go to the police unless they felt your behaviour was way out of line. Leave them alone.

What you can expect depends on the details of the harassment. This is probably a warning, so stay away. If you take no notice, then they can either get an injunction or if its serious enough they can prosecute you. The police visit is probably just to make sure you know what the score is and that you stop harassing this person.
Original post by PinkAcid
the police do sometimes leave voicemails, a police officer who came to my house after I reported that my ex wouldn't leave me alone and id seen him on my street that morning (he lives on the other side of the city and had no job so had no reason to be there) left one for him telling him to stop harassing me and told me to report and record any further incidents of contact.

Did it go any further i.e. did they interview/arrest him? Or did he just leave you alone after that voicemail warning?
Did it go any further i.e. did they interview/arrest him? Or did he just leave you alone after that voicemail warning?

he left me alone after that so nothing happened besides a crime number, a warning via voicemail as he didnt answer his phone and had disappeared from my street by the time they arrived and they went to his address the week after (it was a friday so thats probably why it was the next week) to have 'an informal chat'.
What did you do?
Your anonymous so you can say
not sure it helps YOU but my ex persisstently (yes, i spelt it wrong) harrassed me and resulted in a restraining order being served on him for a year
What did you do?
Your anonymous so you can say

I persistently sent lots of messages to someone and called them repeatedly. Some of the messages were anger-fuelled because this person hurt me very, very badly. I know I'm in the wrong though and I reacted in completely the wrong way.
I persistently sent lots of messages to someone and called them repeatedly. Some of the messages were anger-fuelled because this person hurt me very, very badly. I know I'm in the wrong though and I reacted in completely the wrong way.

Depending on how many messages you sent over what period of time, I personally, wouldn't class what you've done as harassment. Certainly not extreme harassment anyway. (Not enough for you to get into serious trouble!) Unless you threatened the other person.

Did the other person respond to your messages?

You'd have thought the police would have more serious crimes to be dealing with than what you've done, and consequently that's probably why you've been left a voicemail.

Just don't contact the other person again and as long as you know what you've done wrong and learn from your lesson. Carry on life as normal pal.

We all make mistakes, but they don't define us.
Depending on how many messages you sent over what period of time, I personally, wouldn't class what you've done as harassment. Certainly not extreme harassment anyway. (Not enough for you to get into serious trouble!) Unless you threatened the other person.

Did the other person respond to your messages?

You'd have thought the police would have more serious crimes to be dealing with than what you've done, and consequently that's probably why you've been left a voicemail.

Just don't contact the other person again and as long as you know what you've done wrong and learn from your lesson. Carry on life as normal pal.

We all make mistakes, but they don't define us.

Sounds like harassment to me. I think the OP is playing it down a little. It is a serious crime and extremely intimidating for the other person. It is worthy of police attention, as he's unlikely to have stopped otherwise. He knew what he was doing was wrong, except the other person was smart enough to call the police to make him think before he continued.
Reply 17
Oh man, that seems really bad, how did your parents react?
Reply 18
If it is real, the police will have to serve you what is called a PINS notice. It's essentially a warning not to contact the person for a period (usually 6-12 months) and if you do, you will be able to be arrested. They may have left you the voicemail simply to get the message across but legally, they have to serve the notice to you in person and explain why it is happening and what you have done. Take it seriously. Those saying "it can't be that important if they're not straight round" are wrong. The police are massively under resources, so no, you're not at the top of their list of priorities but they do have the power to take harassment very seriously.
Reply 19
Hmmm, I think you should stop Harassing over it.

Latest

Trending

Trending