The Student Room Group

Ocr geography sdme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by cicelym
Ah this a good idea, the only issue is I don't have my exact coursework grade as my teacher said they haven't received the final mark back. I am trying to estimate it though, and I think with a high c coursework I need two really high a's in the exams for an a over all. I really hope I can do this :frown:

Oh no, if it's a high C then I reckon you'd be around 2/3 marks off the next grade. For your coursework, whatever grade you get as your raw score, it's the exact same as your UMS. UMS for coursework goes up to 60, so each mark is equivalent to one UMS.

Good luck in your Key Themes, how did you find the SDME today?
Reply 21
Original post by Arbana1502
Yup they sneaked in a few theory questions. How many pages did you guys write for the last question

Used all the available space they gave for the 16 marker plus one and a half pages of additional paper.
Original post by Cyaner634
Hi guys in the SDME for Q2 i did the formations of the stack but i explained it from the beginning i.e. i went from caves to arches to the stack but will i lose marks for this.

I done the same thing I don't see that you would lose marks tbh, I also added the diagram.
Did u mention Hydraulic action etc.
Original post by L0st45
Used all the available space they gave for the 16 marker plus one and a half pages of additional paper.

Well done you're going to do really well expecially with all that 😄 what did you write about which option did you choose
. me too im hoping to do get at least 30/40 for this paper

Lst years boundary was about 27 for A
especially*
Reply 26
Original post by cicelym
Wait were we meant to write about how two features were formed? I only wrote about the formation of stacks :/

No. You only had to describe how one was formed - problem was I forgot how the two coastal landforms were formed! I drew a nice diagram for my examiner though so maybe I'll get one mark for that. I literally did awfully on that question, like out of six what would you even score my response if I told you I put:

"Erosion of the cliff eventually forms a stack. The sea erodes away at the cliff. This is hydraulic action. Overtime, the cliff is separated from the stack."

Weakest answer ever or what?! I'm weakly impressed with my answer tough considering I hadn't revised how coastal landforms were created. I mean, they did only say "describe" the processes 😂 I left that question until the end anyway aha.

Oh well, the other six marker and the eight marker questions I smashed so hopefully they'll make up for my extremely weak response in question two!
Reply 27
Well done you're going to do really well expecially with all that 😄 what did you write about which option did you choose

Thank you! 😊

I chose option 2. I then spoke about how my decision was most sustainable because, socially, looking at Resource (whichever resource it was) then you undertand that the cove and surrounding area is used primarily for "scuba diving" and "leisure activities". By leaving the armour wall as it is, tourists and families who visit Mullion won't be disrupted by construction and therefore they can enjoy their trip.

Economically this was most sustainable because, even though there was a storm which whacked up a significant sum of over £250,000, this sum is, in fact, insignificant in comparison to spending £3 million on building a breakwater. Furthermore, the armour wall is predicted to last for up to 20-50 more years, so why waste money when it doesn't need replenishing yet?

Environmentally this allows biodiversity to remain in their habitats, it doesn't affect them. Also, if there's an endangered species living near Mullion, leaving the species there allows them to reproduce.

Disadvantages were a huge backlash socially if there was a huge storm which was to destroy the harbour wall. There was a population of over 2200 and so this could affect quality of life if residents are forced to move away. Economically this is also unsustainable because, on top of repair costs to the harbour armour, the council could have to pay fr repairing damage to the houses.

Now, my alternative option was cheeky, because I combined options 1 and 3 together to make a new option. My alternative sustainable option was to only choose to protect one area of Mullion and allow the other area to be eroded. This is sustainable because then The National Trust can focus on one area of the coastline and build on those sea defences and develop on them, whilst the other area of land being eroded by the sea can create new habitats for biodiversity.

What about you, what did you write? :smile:
Hi guys in the SDME for Q2 i did the formations of the stack but i explained it from the beginning i.e. i went from caves to arches to the stack but will i lose marks for this.

thats what i did too
I though that was what you were meant to do!
Original post by L0st45
Thank you! 😊

I chose option 2. I then spoke about how my decision was most sustainable because, socially, looking at Resource (whichever resource it was) then you undertand that the cove and surrounding area is used primarily for "scuba diving" and "leisure activities". By leaving the armour wall as it is, tourists and families who visit Mullion won't be disrupted by construction and therefore they can enjoy their trip.

Economically this was most sustainable because, even though there was a storm which whacked up a significant sum of over £250,000, this sum is, in fact, insignificant in comparison to spending £3 million on building a breakwater. Furthermore, the armour wall is predicted to last for up to 20-50 more years, so why waste money when it doesn't need replenishing yet?

Environmentally this allows biodiversity to remain in their habitats, it doesn't affect them. Also, if there's an endangered species living near Mullion, leaving the species there allows them to reproduce.

Disadvantages were a huge backlash socially if there was a huge storm which was to destroy the harbour wall. There was a population of over 2200 and so this could affect quality of life if residents are forced to move away. Economically this is also unsustainable because, on top of repair costs to the harbour armour, the council could have to pay fr repairing damage to the houses.

Now, my alternative option was cheeky, because I combined options 1 and 3 together to make a new option. My alternative sustainable option was to only choose to protect one area of Mullion and allow the other area to be eroded. This is sustainable because then The National Trust can focus on one area of the coastline and build on those sea defences and develop on them, whilst the other area of land being eroded by the sea can create new habitats for biodiversity.

What about you, what did you write? :smile:

THAT WAS SO SMARt!!!! Well done thats definitely hgh marks. now reading yours mine was too brief i put for an alternate option to construct a sea wall
Reply 30

If youve only spoken about what had formed and not the reasons behind it, you will lose marks. A student did this at our school in a mock exam and only got 2/6. The grade boundaries will be lower due to the amount of people who found it difficult however other pupils including myself found it relatively okay... Good luck anyway
Reply 31
THAT WAS SO SMARt!!!! Well done thats definitely hgh marks. now reading yours mine was too brief i put for an alternate option to construct a sea wall

Ah thank you! Ah I'm sure you did fine, that's a good, sensible and alternative option, I'm sure you'll get a quite a few marks for talking about it. :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by L0st45
Ah thank you! Ah I'm sure you did fine, that's a good, sensible and alternative option, I'm sure you'll get a quite a few marks for talking about it. :smile:

I'm sure the 'Breakwater' is a form of sea barrier... However, many people were struggling with the alternatives however there were a list of them in the resource booklet which were used for question 3/4. Either one.Proof.png
Reply 33
For question 2, I wrote about the whole process of a cave to an arch to a stack and then to a stump. I wrote about the processes such as hydraulic action etc... Will I lose marks? Was I only supposed to write about 1? Does anyone remember the exact wording of the question?
Reply 34
Original post by Haloumi
For question 2, I wrote about the whole process of a cave to an arch to a stack and then to a stump. I wrote about the processes such as hydraulic action etc... Will I lose marks? Was I only supposed to write about 1? Does anyone remember the exact wording of the question?

It was something like 'Identify one feature caused by coastal erosion, Decribe how this feature has been formed'. I believe it was similar to that which therefore means your idea would be correct if you also spoke about the types of erosion.
Reply 35
Original post by L0st45

DO you it would have been acceptable to use managed retreat as my alternative option because it would save money that could be used to improve services elsewhere in the community and compensate the people living there. Also it would be cheaper than spending large amounts on defence schemes that will just be undermined by the storms since the overall all population isn't very large. Furthermore it would allow new ecosystems to form i.e. salt marshes which would create vegetation that would reduce the velocity of the waves and therefore the erosion???? I was so put off by that part.
Reply 36
Original post by tj164
It was something like 'Identify one feature caused by coastal erosion, Decribe how this feature has been formed'. I believe it was similar to that which therefore means your idea would be correct if you also spoke about the types of erosion.

oh okay Thank You! You've given me hope
Reply 37

I did this too, isn't this the only way to really explain how a stack is formed?
Reply 38
Original post by tj164

Ah I'm scared, I think I mentioned erosion as a whole, not the specific types of erosion :frown: I did include things like how erosion is created by destructive waves though lol
Yes i think it is the only way to explain a stack as the processes of erosion start from thr beginning... Oh well Good luck to everybody with the key themes paper!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest