The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Transport on track:

Momentum/Impulse etc.

Elastic and Inelastic Collisions

Electromagnetism (Force in a wire, induced current etc.)

Magnetic fields

Transformers

Capacitors and exponential decay

Medium is the message:

Digital sampling and waves

Amplitude and Frequency Modulation (AM and FM)

Multiplexing (Frequency and Time Division)

Optical Fibres/Coaxial Cables

Attenuation and exponential decay

More capacitors

Electric Fields

Force on a charged particle in a magnetic field

Probing the heart of matter:

Particle Physics

Standard model/GUTs

Alpha scattering

Point charges/Coulombs law

More electric fields and electrostatics

Wave-Patricle duality

Bits on relativistic effects

Build or Bust:

Simple harmonic motion

Speed of sound in solids

Free/froced/damped oscillations

Resonance

Reach for the Stars:

Flux and Luminosity

Radioactive decay

Kinetic theory and gases

Gravitation

Red shift/Doppler effect

HR diagrams

Energy and mass relationships

Thats about everything, I suggest looking at TRA and BLD for projects, they usually provide the best sorts of topics, electromagnetism and oscillations provide hundreds of different sorts of topics you could do.
Reply 2
thanks man... that helped.

EDIT: just realised that that sounded kinda sarcastic. don't take it the wrong way lol
did anyone do this project for psa5(i) as we to are starting today and i haven't a clue what to do mine on

any ideas??
Reply 4
Just think of something that you'll enjoy doing for 2 weeks, can get lots of numerical data from (and can plot graphs) and can related lots of physics concepts to. If you enjoy what you're doing and take an interest in it, you're likely to do well. The more mechanical ones seem to be good to me, stuff like catapults.
madima
in our school, we start our A2 projects as of today. however, i'm confused as to what to do it on. could someone please outline the topics i would be covering in A2 (since i could base my project on one of these)?

are you a first year that has just finished their AS exams? i am and we haven't been told anything about projects yet? :confused:
Reply 6
MathematicalMind
are you a first year that has just finished their AS exams? i am and we haven't been told anything about projects yet? :confused:

i just finished AS exams. anyway, the project is 20% of your A2 grade (10% of your overall A-level grade). it's basically like the AS ones except for bring MUCH longer and you have something called a "rationale" and you actually have to write a bibliography. that's it -- project title is up to you.
Reply 7
For me the project was the best bit of the course, 2 weeks of doing whatever you want.

It's absolutely ridiculous that its only a third of one unit compared to the 1st years coursework unit.
Reply 8
Doing the coursework was one of the most fun parts of the year - I just spent two weeks playing with my equipment. Somewhere along the line I also took some results. :p:

Take some time to think what you could do successfully - modelling interests (e.g. sports, hobbies) on a small scale and investigating the physics in it was done by a few people - but I just chose something I knew would be fun to play with and made up a deep fascination for it in my rationale.
I spent so much time worrying about it as our teachers made it seem like such a big deal - in the end it went by so quickly. And I agree with Belowpar - get lots of numerical results, in the end I collected over 700 (though each one took about one second to get) and then I took loads of averages which I could then comment on in my evaluation.

You don't need to get something directly from the syllabus - the most successful project in my class took something he was interested in and looked for related physics - I'm pretty sure most of it was beyond the scope of the syllabus but it was still physics.

Latest