The Student Room Group

I'm an anti-feminist, AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IAmNero
The gender pay gap is the consequence of the choices women make.

What it doesn't mean: a woman is paid less than a man.

What is does mean: women work different hours. Do different jobs. And take longer holidays. Thus the figures make sense

Posted from TSR Mobile

They make sense in those circumstances. However, those are not always the circumstances prevalent. And a lot of men and women do the same jobs - teach, run businesses, are athletes, instruct in a sport, fitness trainers, work in a supermarket, office work, lawyers. There's not that much of a difference in terms of occupation.
Original post by IAmNero

What is does mean: women work different hours. Do different jobs. And take longer holidays. Thus the figures make sense

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel this

I don't know why people be arguing about what all these special buzz words really mean,

can't we all agree not to pay two equally skilled workers doing the same job who do the same hours the same, regardless of gender?
Third wave feminism is the biggest joke of our generation.

I love how people don't link it through a valid or reputable source. Also, through checking the source it also doesn't even filter through any factors.

I'm with you, OP.
Reply 44
Original post by bluebookie
Why did you start this thread?

I guess I would say to clear up misconceptions and hopefully change some views, but I do enjoy a civilised debate and to have my views questioned.

Original post by ivybridge
Okay, then you clearly don't understand what it means to be part of a 'wave'. The point is, a second wave predates a third wave - nobody is saying the second wave still exists. That's the point.

With all due respect, you cannot redefine inequality just because you feel objectives have been met. The West still has big issues with inequality at large. Just because they're not as big and as blatant as in those countries situated in the Middle East or Asia, does not render them any less significant. And refer to the post I just made in response to @Floj99 - it's the same thing.

Are you denying that some sexy characters in a video game are less important than rape?
Original post by IAmNero

Posted from TSR Mobile

Milo our lord and savior educating this thread. :innocent:
Original post by netfromhf
I love how people don't link it through a valid or reputable source. Also, through checking the source it also doesn't even filter through any factors.

I'm with you, OP.

Yes it does, read it. There are plenty of other statistics and things out there too which prove the point. And I think your attack is pretty unnecessary - I class myself as a traditional feminist and an egalitarian; I do not support the third wave and I do not support the premise that quotas should be implemented or that the wage gap should disappear. There are reasons for its existence but some of them are not fair and to ignore that is pretty unacceptable to be honest.
Reply 47
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Not too controversial on here, feel the majority are against the current wave of feminism

How many integer solutions are there to the equation x^2 + y^2 = z^2?

Boy, were you wrong.

There are infinitely many I guess.
Original post by Cobalt_
Milo our lord and savior educating this thread. :innocent:

Right... No.

Original post by UDZ

Are you denying that some sexy characters in a video game are less important than rape?

Where did this come from? No. Of course not. Again, you are not actually grasping the basic concept that is: issues of inequality are all important. Some are more important than others but it doesn't render the others unimportant in the same breath.
I guess I would say to clear up misconceptions and hopefully change some views, but I do enjoy a civilised debate and to have my views questioned.

If you're being honest with me here, then I completely respect your reasoning. :smile:

But don't forget you lot, keep it civilised, or I'll butt in with my less-than-adequate brain squish knowledge from a lifetime of experience. Be afraid.
Reply 50
Original post by UDZ

There are infinite integer solutions.
Reply 51

Where did this come from? No. Of course not. Again, you are not actually grasping the basic concept that is: issues of inequality are all important. Some are more important than others but it doesn't render the others unimportant in the same breath.

From this:

Just because they're not as big and as blatant as in those countries situated in the Middle East or Asia, does not render them any less significant.

And according to feminists, sexualisation in video games is inequality (even though they don't realise men also have unrealistic body images in video games, too).
Reply 52
Original post by Anno007
There are infinite integer solutions.

Oh good :smile:

Original post by bluebookie

If you're being honest with me here, then I completely respect your reasoning. :smile:

But don't forget you lot, keep it civilised, or I'll butt in with my less-than-adequate brain squish knowledge from a lifetime of experience. Be afraid.

As long as I'm on this thread, it'll be civilised. I guess another reason is I can't have a civilised debate with anyone at school, they just make assumptions and call me sexist.
Original post by UDZ
From this:

And according to feminists, sexualisation in video games is inequality (even though they don't realise men also have unrealistic body images in video games, too).

Sexualisation is inequality. And my comment says the exact opposite of one is more important than the other, can you not read? Also, male body image is usually done to portray masculine traits and strength, not to sexualise the male form.
Right... No.

I'm triggered, I'm having a micro aggression.
*Runs to his safe space*
Original post by Cobalt_
I'm triggered, I'm having a micro aggression.
*Runs to his safe space*

:s-smilie:
Yes it does, read it. There are plenty of other statistics and things out there too which prove the point. And I think your attack is pretty unnecessary - I class myself as a traditional feminist and an egalitarian; I do not support the third wave and I do not support the premise that quotas should be implemented or that the wage gap should disappear. There are reasons for its existence but some of them are not fair and to ignore that is pretty unacceptable to be honest.

You're more third wave than what you think. Nowhere in the article you link does it talk about filtering factors in such as women taking time off for kids, generally working less hours and doing easier jobs.

I'm ignoring it because once you filter the factors into place a wage gap does exist but it's understandable why it does. Why would someone who takes 2 years out to raise a baby get paid the same amount in their lifetime as someone who works every day? If they did then surely that would be unfair for men as we can't take 2 years off and expect to get paid the same.
Reply 57
Sexualisation is inequality. And my comment says the exact opposite of one is more important than the other, can you not read? Also, male body image is usually done to portray masculine traits and strength, not to sexualise the male form.

Are you now denying that masculine traits and strength aren't found attractive by some women? And how is this bad:

Spoiler

But this isn't?:

Spoiler

Reply 58
Original post by UDZ
Boy, were you wrong.

Maybe on this thread...just seems generally true in my experience. Perhaps a majority would still identity as feminists but I also think a majority do not go along with current mainstream feminism.

Woot
Original post by UDZ
Are you now denying that masculine traits and strength aren't found attractive by some women? And how is this bad:

Spoiler

But this isn't?:

Spoiler

I don't think either of them are bad, personally. Like I said, I'm not at all sympathetic with the third wave. Furthermore, that was not what I said so don't manipulate my language.

Quick Reply

Latest