The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature: LITB3 - Elements of the Gothic - Friday 17th June 2016!

This is a discussion thread only for AQA LITB3 - Elements of the Gothic.

My texts are:

1. 'Frankenstein' by Mary Shelley
2. 'Macbeth' by William Shakespeare
3. 'The Bloody Chamber Stories' by Angela Carter

Also, how did you guys think Unit 4 went? What did you do for it?
Hi, I'm doing the exact same books as you, how do you feel revision is going for it?

For Unit 4 (I presume that's A2 coursework) I did Gone Girl/A Streetcar Named Desire for the comparison and Animal Farm for the critical. How about you?
Reply 2
Original post by JackBowman112
Hi, I'm doing the exact same books as you, how do you feel revision is going for it?

For Unit 4 (I presume that's A2 coursework) I did Gone Girl/A Streetcar Named Desire for the comparison and Animal Farm for the critical. How about you?

Yay - a reply! Haha.

I'm more or less done revising, now. I know the texts really well and got Band 6s in my last essays.

For LITB4 I did:

Comparative between 'Maurice', 'Giovanni's Room', and 'Regeneration'.

Critical - feminist anthology and 'The Help'.
Original post by ivybridge
Yay - a reply! Haha.

I'm more or less done revising, now. I know the texts really well and got Band 6s in my last essays.

For LITB4 I did:

Comparative between 'Maurice', 'Giovanni's Room', and 'Regeneration'.

Critical - feminist anthology and 'The Help'.

Yeah, just stumbled upon the board during my revision procrastination. At the moment, I have done very very little revision for English, as History was my priority and kind of took precedence over it. I did a few mock essays and got around the Band 5 Areas, maybe if you wouldn't mind you can post some of your essays on here, if you'd be so kind, I'd love to read them to see what I'd have to do to get into the high grade boundaries. I like Frankenstein the most out of all the texts, followed by Macbeth with Bloody Chamber being my least favourite of all of them.
Reply 4
Original post by JackBowman112
Yeah, just stumbled upon the board during my revision procrastination. At the moment, I have done very very little revision for English, as History was my priority and kind of took precedence over it. I did a few mock essays and got around the Band 5 Areas, maybe if you wouldn't mind you can post some of your essays on here, if you'd be so kind, I'd love to read them to see what I'd have to do to get into the high grade boundaries. I like Frankenstein the most out of all the texts, followed by Macbeth with Bloody Chamber being my least favourite of all of them.

I think what might be a good idea is taking a question and writing some bullet points for each text. How does that sound? I have no typed up essays.

Macbeth is the easiest, Frankenstein the most amazing in terms of the actual mastery of language and narrative construction, and the Bloody Chamber is lovely but possibly the hardest to speak about.
Hey folks,
I'm doing The Bloody Chamber, Frankenstein and The Changeling. Anyone else struggling with trying to memorise enough quotes to see us through the exam based on anything that could come up?

The most useful revision I have done so far is spider-diagramming (just invented a new verb, brill) all the elements of the gothic and a couple of quotes for each of the texts that relate to them and as said above, doing essay plans for all the past papers.

I wish everyone a restful and focused five days!
Reply 6
Original post by boom-naomi
Hey folks,
I'm doing The Bloody Chamber, Frankenstein and The Changeling. Anyone else struggling with trying to memorise enough quotes to see us through the exam based on anything that could come up?

The most useful revision I have done so far is spider-diagramming (just invented a new verb, brill) all the elements of the gothic and a couple of quotes for each of the texts that relate to them and as said above, doing essay plans for all the past papers.

I wish everyone a restful and focused five days!

I think I've got them under my belt now, really. Carter is so language rich but you are disadvantaged by not doing a text so easy to remember as 'Macbeth'! Nonetheless, I'm sure you'll nail it.
hey guys , there's a bigger thread for this paper btw :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3799069&page=21
Original post by ivybridge
This is a discussion thread only for AQA LITB3 - Elements of the Gothic.

My texts are:

1. 'Frankenstein' by Mary Shelley
2. 'Macbeth' by William Shakespeare
3. 'The Bloody Chamber Stories' by Angela Carter

Also, how did you guys think Unit 4 went? What did you do for it?

i do frankenstein, macbeth and wuthering heights :smile:
Unit 4 went quite well
I did 'shooting an elephant' by george orwell for critical
and for comparison i did the yellow wallpaper and the bell jar :smile: got 29/30 for each
Original post by cambridgedreams
i do frankenstein, macbeth and wuthering heights :smile:
Unit 4 went quite well
I did 'shooting an elephant' by george orwell for critical
and for comparison i did the yellow wallpaper and the bell jar :smile: got 29/30 for each

I am currently doing these two novels for my comparison!! Do you still have any of your notes or comparisons available or saved as it would be so helpful for me to see! No worries if not!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending