The Student Room Group

Applying with only 2 A levels but 3 AS's

Hello

This isn't a huge problem but I was wondering will it affect my chances of getting into uni with only 2 full A levels?

I'm in year 12 (should be 13) and left my last sixth form with 4 AS's: English Language, Sociology, ICT and General Studies.

I left my last sixth form in October last year due to certain problems. I then rejoined another sixth form earlier on this January. The only thing is they only taught 2 of my subjects (well to that exam board anyway)

I've been able to resit AS's in English Language and Sociology and will be taking them on for A2, definatly. I was unable to do ICT as they didn't teach the same course and they stopped doing General Studies and do critical thinking instead (but I didn't sit the exams).

In September I am going to start another AS along with my other 2 subjects. So in the end I will have:

A levels:
Eng Lang
Sociology

AS's:
ICT D
General Studies E
*Other AS*

My main query is am I doomed if I wanted to go to uni with 2 A levels? I'm hoping to do Social Work or Social science related subjects. Most Social Work courses require a minimum of 160 points at A2 which would mean I'd have to get CC in Eng Lang and Sociology. However some uni's ask for 120 points for some social science subjects, DD which is what I'm sure I'll be able to get.

At the minute for Eng Lang I have a C (AS). I have redone all the 3 modules. The coursework has moved from C (previously) to B which is good.

Sociology I have a D (AS) but would love a C in the A2. At the minute I have an A in the coursework and E's in the other exams. Resat the exams so I'm hoping to have improved on them slighly.

As you can probably tell I'm a little worried. At first I thought about doing a full A2 in a year but then thought it wouldn't be wise. If only I could get entered for A2 General Studies but I don't think they still offer them. :frown:
Reply 1
Read the entry requirements carefully. A lot of offers say things like "220 points to include at least 160 from 2 6 unit awards", which basically means getting CC or BD or something at A2, allowing the rest of the points to be filled with AS :smile:

So read up on the courses you are interested in and you might get a nice surprise!

Just don't set your sights too high - the highest prestige universities will want three A Levels.
yer just look at what there criteria is in what they offer, i know essex said i needed 280 point with BB a A level and the rest can come from else where
Depending on your "certain problems", you may find that unis will be more lenient with you. Definitely get it explained in your reference when you apply.

And check with the unis before applying whether they'd accept your qualifications. Some won't, so don't waste your UCAS spaces applying there
If you've found unis and courses that definitely only require 2 A2s, it's fine. Just make sure you check the entry requirements in the prospectus, on the website and on the UCAS website carefully so you know where the points can and can't come from.

Latest

Trending

Trending