Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Quotes for To Kill a Mockingbird

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

I'm in desperate need of any quotes that you may have for TKAM! In a complete panic since it seems that i only have 2 or 3 for each character! Would really appreciate if anyone would be willing to give me their quotes. Thanks

‘all angles and bones’ …‘her hand was as wide as a bed slat’‘His nameis Arthur…and he’s a person’‘Simply because we were licked a hundred yearsbefore we started is no reason for us not to try to win.’“I wants to know why you bringin’ white chillun to niggerchurch” “There wasindeed a caste system…” "All men are created equal" ‘no need to persecute them…they’rewhite‘one of theCunninghams’‘He didnot…poker…’ ‘What realcourage…when you know you’re licked before you begin but you begin anyway’‘Don’t saynigger’‘climb intohis skin and walk around in it’ ‘thedeadest shot in Maycomb’‘couldn’thold my head up in town’‘too old’It’s asin to kill a mockingbird’ ‘a Finch…lawing for niggers’‘Calpurniarequested my presence in the kitchen…’whitechillun…nigg er church…their church…ourn’ ‘sweetsmell…negro’‘same Godaint it?’ ‘nodifferent…except…specif ic cases’a gang ofwild animals can be stopped’ – metaphor‘a drop ofnegro blood…all black’ ‘enamelled coffee can’‘amob’s…made up of people’‘shapes and shadows’‘the evilassumption that all negro men…all’A memoryhad suddenly become … more accurate’ ‘rained questions on her’ ‘simple as black and white’‘in thename of God do your duty’‘ourneighbour’s image blurred with my sudden tears’‘It wasimpolite to point’“a court isonly as sound as its jury, and a jury is only as sound as the men who make itup” “What happens in housesbehind closed doors…”“The menhid from view”“malevolent phantom”“You never really understand a person…until youclimb into his skin and walk around in it”“It’s a sin to kill a mockingbird”“Shadows” “shapes”stealthy…like a steady-eyed cat”“as simple as black and white”“all men are created equal”“the poverty, the darkness, the immorality” “It’s a sinto kill a mockingbird”“Shadows” “shapes”‘You never really know someoneuntil you crawl inside their skin and walk around in it’‘That all negroes lie, that allnegroes are immoral’‘It’s a sin to kill amockingbird’‘a lie as black as Tom Robinson’sskin’‘This case is as simple as blackand white’‘The one thing that doesn’t abideby majority rule is a person’s concience’I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead ofgetting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but youbegin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, butsometimes you do. people have a way of carrying their resentments right intoa jury box whenever a white man does that to a black man, no matterwho he is, how rich he is, or how fine a family he comes from, that white manis trashScout FinchIt was times like these when I thought my father, who hatedguns and had never been to any wars, was the bravest man who ever lived- Scout

I began to think there was some skill involved in being agirl.

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks – Scout "butaround here once you have a drop of Negro blood, that makes you allblack." “Atticus had promised me he would wear me outif he ever heard of me fighting
    anymore; I was far too old and toobig for such childish things, and the sooner I learned to hold in, the betteroff everybody would be.”“I felt the starched walls of a pink cottonpenitentiary closing in on me, and for the second time in my life I thought ofrunning away. Immediately.”‘My stomach turned to water’JemFinch “You just can’t convict a man on evidence likethat—you can’t.” “Naw, Scout, it’s something you wouldn’t understand.Atticus is real old, but I wouldn’t care if he couldn’t do anything—Iwouldn’t care if he couldn’t do a blessed thing.” ‘It aint right’"I think I’m beginning to understand whyBoo Radley’s stayed shut up in the house all this time… it’s because hewants to stay inside.”

‘I never wanta hear about that courthouse again, ever, ever,you hear me’“I know what we are going to play,” he announced. “Somethingnew, something different.”
    “What?” asked Dill.
    “Boo Radley.”It's like bein' a caterpillar in a cocoon,that's what it is," he said. "Like somethin' asleep wrapped up in awarm place. I always thought Maycomb folks were the best folks in the world,least that's what they seemed likeRacequotes
    ‘One in the courthouse lawing for *******!’

‘She put her hand to her mouth. When she drew itaway, it trailed a long silver thread of saliva. “Your fathers no better thanthe ******* and trash he works for!”“There’s something in our world that makes menlose their heads- they couldn’t be fair if they treid. In our courts, when it’sa white man’s word against a black man’s word, the white always wins. They’reugly, but these are the facts of life”Cecil Jacobs made me forget. He had announced in the schoolyardthe day before that Scout Finch's daddy defended *******. I denied it, but toldJem.”
    The next day in the schoolyard, the taunting from the childrenof white racists assumes a more intimidating form, as when Scout is againconfronted by Cecil Jacobs:
    "You gotta make me first!" he yelled. "Myfolks said your daddy was a disgrace an' that ****** oughta hang from thewater-tank!”
    ‘Full of niggers’
    "hadn't theheart to put him in the jail alongside Negroes"
    ‘Maycomb’s usualdisease’
    I am aware of how unorganised these quotes are but I hope this helps.

You're an angel!!! Thank you so much!!!!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 21, 2016
TSR Support Team
Would you rather find
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.