The Student Room Group

Cardiff University - via Access Course in Business

First and foremost, hello everybody & I hope all is well. Iapologize in advance this may seem a little long winded but I am in need of advice.

I am currently in my last year of studying a HNC in Nautical Science alongside an Officer Of The Watch competency as an officer in the merchant navy. This job involved management skills and demands the use of mathematics on a daily basis.

I am currently on-board ship and have a lot of time to reflect. And upon reflection I have come to the conclusion nobody can work at sea forever and it would be a good idea to have a contingency plan in place .

I left school with decent GCSE grades but did not enjoy college so I left ( was young at the time ). Now I have matured and have decided to consider an Access course in Business to prepare me for a degree. As opposed to A levels the access course is more suited to me because I am now 21 years old and the access course is shorter. My studies for the HNC Nautical Science have been and continue to be very demanding , studying at least 9-5 everday and most exams require around 70% to pass as the maritime industry is demanding in regards to British Officers and their level of training
My GCSE s are as follows :
English language A
English Literature B
Welsh Second Language B
Mathematics C
Science C
Additional Science C
History C
ICT C
Religious Education Short Course C
Welsh baccalaureate Intermediate
Various Key Skills

I did reasonable in my grades , not as well as I would have hoped but at the time I didn't care.

I realize I have the relevantqualifications to do A levels or indeed an access course, however I understand that economics involves plenty of maths at a higher level (which isn't such a big problem for me ). And thus, Cardiff University requires a grade B in GCSE maths .

As part of my HNC I have studied maths supposedly to the equivalent of A level and I use navigational mathematics in a daily basis as well as management skills and law and also physics. Now at 21 and after my experiences academically and experiences with huge responsibilities on-board ship I embrace maths and fin it much easier than before , it seems as though the GCSE would be a walk in the park . The maths I have studied basically required 100% to pass.

My questions are :
1) Do you think it is appropriate for me to take the access course ?
2) Is it too late to resist GCSE maths? And if not is there another route ?
3) would it be better to do A levels ? Or am I a bit too old ?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending