Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Cardiff University - via Access Course in Business

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

First and foremost, hello everybody & I hope all is well. Iapologize in advance this may seem a little long winded but I am in need of advice.

I am currently in my last year of studying a HNC in Nautical Science alongside an Officer Of The Watch competency as an officer in the merchant navy. This job involved management skills and demands the use of mathematics on a daily basis.

I am currently on-board ship and have a lot of time to reflect. And upon reflection I have come to the conclusion nobody can work at sea forever and it would be a good idea to have a contingency plan in place .

I left school with decent GCSE grades but did not enjoy college so I left ( was young at the time ). Now I have matured and have decided to consider an Access course in Business to prepare me for a degree. As opposed to A levels the access course is more suited to me because I am now 21 years old and the access course is shorter. My studies for the HNC Nautical Science have been and continue to be very demanding , studying at least 9-5 everday and most exams require around 70% to pass as the maritime industry is demanding in regards to British Officers and their level of training
    My GCSE s are as follows :
    English language A
    English Literature B
    Welsh Second Language B
    Mathematics C
    Science C
    Additional Science C
    History C
    ICT C
    Religious Education Short Course C
    Welsh baccalaureate Intermediate
    Various Key Skills

I did reasonable in my grades , not as well as I would have hoped but at the time I didn't care.

I realize I have the relevantqualifications to do A levels or indeed an access course, however I understand that economics involves plenty of maths at a higher level (which isn't such a big problem for me ). And thus, Cardiff University requires a grade B in GCSE maths .

As part of my HNC I have studied maths supposedly to the equivalent of A level and I use navigational mathematics in a daily basis as well as management skills and law and also physics. Now at 21 and after my experiences academically and experiences with huge responsibilities on-board ship I embrace maths and fin it much easier than before , it seems as though the GCSE would be a walk in the park . The maths I have studied basically required 100% to pass.

My questions are :
    1) Do you think it is appropriate for me to take the access course ?
    2) Is it too late to resist GCSE maths? And if not is there another route ?
    3) would it be better to do A levels ? Or am I a bit too old ?

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.