Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

An alternative argument for Brexit?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hello all! I'm a long time lurker here and have decided to finally post.

Up until now I've been undecided but heading towards pro-Remain for the upcoming referendum. But, today I came across an interesting Brexit argument on the Vote Leave Facebook page. I'll quote it here.

"The more pressing argument for leaving the EU is the rise of the far right in Europe. I don't want to be part of a bloc where the likes of Golden Dawn, Front National, NDP and Jobbik have a say in European affairs and, as a result, a say in British affairs. We fought a war to defeat the Neo-Nazis but, as a result of the EU's failings we've seen a worrying trend of the Neo Nazi and far right growing in support and influence in countries such as Greece, Hungary, Poland, Germany and France.

Distance ourselves from the EU and it's worrying rise of far right by voting Leave."

Now, as an Asian living in the UK, this argument does make perfect sense for me. There IS a horrible trend of far-right growth on the continent. There is the worrying fact that a number of far-right and Neo-Nazi groups do hold European Parliament Seats and there is no sign that that's going to be changing anytime soon.
    I can't stand Nazis, or the far-right and it amazed me after doing a bit of research on this that an alliance of Neo-Nazi and far-right groups have actually received EU funding!

This is an argument which is making me close to pushing towards Brexit. I don't think the rise of these groups is going to stop anytime soon. Instead they're going to continue to grow and gain influence and it IS worrying that at some point, these Neo-Nazi and far-right groups may hold enough influence and power within the European Parliament to influence the UK and it's laws.

I guess it can be argued that by remaining in the EU we can try to halt the Neo-Nazi groups but can we? Is it really worth the risk of those groups being able to influence us? Likewise, would remaining in the EU lead to a growth in the far-right here? So far they are pretty much a minority. Britain First are nobodies. The BNP are dead. The closest we've got are UKIP who, although right-wing, I would say aren't anywhere near as bad as Golden Dawn and the French National Front.

What are other people's views on this? Because for me, this is a solid argument for Brexit.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.