The Student Room Group

RAF - Delaying Application

Hey Guys,

Just a quick one, I'm applying to the RAF as an officer and I've passed my AST's and I've just got my filter interview date. Due to a few personal reasons which have in some part held me back from fully preparing I was wondering if anyone had any experience or knowledge of being able to postpone the filter interview. This will probably be my last chance to join (I'm 24) and I want to be as prepared and as confident as possible going into the process.

Does anyone know if you are able to postpone the process a few weeks / a month in order to give yourself further time to prepare?

Cheers.
Reply 1
Original post by LouisOUFC
Hey Guys,

Just a quick one, I'm applying to the RAF as an officer and I've passed my AST's and I've just got my filter interview date. Due to a few personal reasons which have in some part held me back from fully preparing I was wondering if anyone had any experience or knowledge of being able to postpone the filter interview. This will probably be my last chance to join (I'm 24) and I want to be as prepared and as confident as possible going into the process.

Does anyone know if you are able to postpone the process a few weeks / a month in order to give yourself further time to prepare?

Cheers.

There will be some flexibility in the system to allow you extra time by a couple of weeks, but it's also possible that questions will be asked (ie, "if you're not ready now, why did you start the application?" - its unlikely they'll ask, but could be something worth remembering).

But also, it's important you relax during the process. Being extremely taught and tense through it all and worrying about what you don't know isn't a way to help you perform to your best. The stages aren't designed to catch you out and you can find information on pretty much every single stage here in great detail. After that, the selection process is about potential - you're not supposed to be a finished article. So relax!
Reply 2
Hey, thanks for the response. Yeah I completely agree and I am aware that's a question that I may have to deal with and be that the case I will answer that at the time to the best of my ability, It is of course a stressfull process and knowing that it may be my only chance I want to feel I am going into in as prepared as I can be. In hindsight I probably would have delayed submitting my application even by just a few weeks but hey-ho It's submitted and I am in the process now.

That being said I do feel in my current situation I would like to be able to say, can I put this on pause for a month, I know however I'm not in a position to do this (Like any job application). I'm left in a slight predicament, and I'm slightly confused as to what to do next.
Original post by LouisOUFC
Hey Guys,

Cheers.

Get down to your local AFCO, explain to them why you would like to postpone - your reason etc. At the end of the day, you have nothing to loose, it isnt the type of thing that would likely go down on record either, so if they say yes, then cushty, if they say no, well, good luck

Quick Reply

Latest