The Student Room Group

OMaM english literature

Does anyone know anything about Carlson in OMaM in case he comes up in the exam as i know nothing about hin
Reply 1
Original post by Emily_Lynch
Does anyone know anything about Carlson in OMaM in case he comes up in the exam as i know nothing about hin

Hiya :smile:

Carlson is used by Steinbeck to represent the stereotypical 1930s American; he's brutal and mean and shows no respect for sentiment.

Carlson is the character who suggests shooting Candy's dog and the one who, after seeking and securing Slim's permission, shoots the dog.

Carlson is a very minor character so he has no significance again until the final chapters; Carlson delivers the final, rhetorical line, "Now what the hell do you suppose is eatin' them two guys?", alongside another equally brutal character - Curley.

Steinbeck mostly uses Carlson to highlight the brutalities of ranch work. He also uses him to foreshadow the death of Lennie through the killing of Candy's dog, and it can be inferred that the process Carlson verbally goes through when reasoning the killing of Candy's dog is partially responsible for George ultimately deciding to shoot Lennie as he recognises it is the most loving thing to do.

I don't think it's likely Carlson will come up because there's so little to be said for his character, but if he does I'd comment on the significance of the final line, the way he represents brutality, and his impact on George through the killing of Candy's dog.

Hope that helps a bit! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest