The Student Room Group

Does your answer have to be EXACTLY what the mark scheme says?

okay, so say I got the answer of 0.08 sec in one part of the question which states it is an accepted answer, but a more accurate figure is 0.0824 sec which is also accepted. Now, I use that (0.08 sec) time in the next part of my question and follow the same method of working as the mark scheme, but since I used a slightly smaller number as a denominator (rather than 0.0824sec), I get an answer slightly larger than that of mark scheme (7725N and not 7700N).

Do I get full marks or am I penalised? (AQA AS Level physics)
Original post by theguywhosaidhi
okay, so say I got the answer of 0.08 sec in one part of the question which states it is an accepted answer, but a more accurate figure is 0.0824 sec which is also accepted. Now, I use that (0.08 sec) time in the next part of my question and follow the same method of working as the mark scheme, but since I used a slightly smaller number as a denominator (rather than 0.0824sec), I get an answer slightly larger than that of mark scheme (7725N and not 7700N).

Do I get full marks or am I penalised? (AQA AS Level physics)

You shouldn't give more significant figures than the lowest number of significant figures in the data you're using to calculate... I think they allow 1 extra significant figure without penalty.
Original post by Joinedup
You shouldn't give more significant figures than the lowest number of significant figures in the data you're using to calculate... I think they allow 1 extra significant figure without penalty.

so I should have rounded down to 7700? if so it makes sense, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest