The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

help with accomadation choices

Hi iv got an offer from bristol uni and im choosing accomadation now but iv heard from a couple pleople there that city accomadation like unite waverley house and rackhay are just full of foreign students and are a bit boring, so iv beeen advised to go to stke bishop but thats far from the uni. so basically is city accom all that bad or is it alrighht? i really dont want to be in a flat withj boring peopople who arnt like me but i also dont want to be far from the uni. i want self catered halls. where have u lot gone and where do u think the best accom is?
cheers
Reply 1
Original post by George-96
Hi iv got an offer from bristol uni and im choosing accomadation now but iv heard from a couple pleople there that city accomadation like unite waverley house and rackhay are just full of foreign students and are a bit boring, so iv beeen advised to go to stke bishop but thats far from the uni. so basically is city accom all that bad or is it alrighht? i really dont want to be in a flat withj boring peopople who arnt like me but i also dont want to be far from the uni. i want self catered halls. where have u lot gone and where do u think the best accom is?
cheers

There's a bus from Stoke Bishop, it's really not that far.
If you want sociable accom, go there.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
The only two self catered at Stoke bishop are university halls and hiatte baker but hiatt baker is well expensive and university hall looks properly ****
Reply 3
Original post by George-96
The only two self catered at Stoke bishop are university halls and hiatte baker but hiatt baker is well expensive and university hall looks properly ****

That's what happens when things are cheap, Bristol is not a cheap place. Goldney is certainly not cheap, and city centre accom tends be be even less value for money.
Something's gotta give. Nice AND cheap is not a thing when it comes to accom in Bristol.
And that's if you're even allocated within budget, you need to keep in mind they cannot guarantee you'll be withing the prices you ask for.
I lived in the courtrooms last year, my flat wasn't the most sociable but i know plenty that were. Most of my friends were from the city centre, they are all about a ten minute walk form each other. Honestly i don't think what accommodation you choose greatly effects how social your year will be as a lot of people make friends at societies. Though the city centre and stoke bishop don't have too many groups of friends passing over since it's such a hassle to get from one to another. You may want to make your choose on other factors like: How far away form a supermarket are you? Can you sleep or study with noise? Do you like city life or something a bit quieter?
''i don't think what accommodation you choose greatly effects how social your year will be as a lot of people make friends at societies'' This works for some and I envy them, but realistically the people you live with in halls are your best shot at making friends. ''How far away form a supermarket are you?''Speaking from first hand experience, if you go to a hall because of how factors like those you might not like it. My biggest regret from first year was living in a hall because it was close to the library, when I should have really been up in Stoke Bishop having a social life like everyone else. Having visited 4-5 different halls over the years I've been in Bristol now it's startling how different the atmosphere/people are in each one. University Hall looks s**t but is very much alive on the inside, it's cheap too and in Stoke Bishop. Hiatt Baker is very shiny and sociable but by god they make you pay for all those chrome fittings inside. :PGeorge-96 you can PM me if you want anymore info tbh.
Original post by Random_PC_Errors
''i don't think what accommodation you choose greatly effects how social your year will be as a lot of people make friends at societies'' This works for some and I envy them, but realistically the people you live with in halls are your best shot at making friends. ''How far away form a supermarket are you?''Speaking from first hand experience, if you go to a hall because of how factors like those you might not like it. My biggest regret from first year was living in a hall because it was close to the library, when I should have really been up in Stoke Bishop having a social life like everyone else. Having visited 4-5 different halls over the years I've been in Bristol now it's startling how different the atmosphere/people are in each one. University Hall looks s**t but is very much alive on the inside, it's cheap too and in Stoke Bishop. Hiatt Baker is very shiny and sociable but by god they make you pay for all those chrome fittings inside. :PGeorge-96 you can PM me if you want anymore info tbh.

HBSC is cheaper than Wills and Churchill though...

Which halls were you in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending