Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Is it possible for me to get an A* in AQA english lit with a C in the coursework ?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I messed up on the controlled assessment and I'm wondering how hard it would be to get an A*, if its even possible.

It depends on the percentages, so it depends what you mean by messed up if its an A you can recover but if its a C you may struggle. If english is something you have a passion for do not threat you can get to the next level be it A levels or College with a B.

In English literature, the coursework (shakespeare usually) is only 40 marks.
    However the other two papers (poetry and exploring modern texts) make up the majority of the gcse.
    If you got near full marks I'm sure thats getting an A* may be possible but Its quite farfetched and you would have to get very high marks.
    I think with C in coursework its more possible to get an good high A overall with near perfect exams.
    It all depends on the grade boundaries, they change frequently, they may decide to raise them this year, they may decide to lower them this year. But just remember nothings impossible.

Hope that helped ))

(Original post by michellincaptain)
    I messed up on the controlled assessment and I'm wondering how hard it would be to get an A*, if its even possible.
    for gcse i got a B in the coursework
    in the exam i got an A in one paper and B in the other and overall i got a B and it was a mid B wasnt to high or low

So i think it is possible depending on if you got a really high C
    and on both papers you need a really high A*
    but if you get a low a* the highest you will get is an A but that also depends on whether your C grade is high
    and also on grade boundries

once you find out the grade boundaries you can try and work it out for yourself
    good luck

Same I was wondering if I could still get an A* or A overall in english lit with a B in my coursework. I was like 4 marks off an A.
    Thanks for your help.

I believe for aqa lit coursework is 25%, so theoretically it's possible, but you would need almost full ums on the exams.

If coursework is out of 100 ums, the other two units will add up to 300 UMS (coursework is 25%, other two add up to 75%).
    A C on the coursework will be somewhere between 60 and 69 UMS.
    You would need 360/400 UMS to get an a* (90%) so would need between 291 and 300 UMS on the other two units added together. Last year full UMS was 61/68 on unit 1 and 46/54 on unit 2 (or 42/54 on unit 4 if you do poetry for coursework and shakespeare in the exam). This changes ever year but as you can lose several marks and still get full ums points, it is possible for you to get an A*. If you got a higher C grade, it will obviously be slightly easier to get an A*. Good luck!

I've attached a screenshot from the specification, which is helpful, and you can find the mark to UMS conversion here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ...t-marks-to-ums

Name:  Screenshot_2016-05-21-20-22-35.png
Views: 27
Size:  170.4 KB
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 21, 2016
TSR Support Team
Would you rather be able to
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.