The Student Room Group

How hard is accounting a level?

Right now I am taking sociology, psychology and biology.
How hard is accounting compared to these subjects?

I am moving college and taking sociology (still), business and accounting.
How hard are these subjects compared to my old subjects.

p.s I got a B in GCSE maths. So will accounting be hard or easy for me?
bump
anyone?
Reply 3
Original post by ouatislifex
anyone?

Most people say accounting is really easy. In fact, a lot of universities do not like it when people have a levels in subjects like accounting, media, health&social etc because they are not 'rigorous' enough.
You have to have an affinity for it and enjoy numbers. Not everyone has that. If you do then it will be straightforward and if not it an be a total nightmare.
If you are tbhhinking of going to Uni , then beware at what degrees are most favoured for the degree you wnat to do. As Dmy pointed out some are considered less rigorous than others. Accounting will be fine if you wnat to do accounting but less flexible for other subjects.

You can get a job being part qualified though.
I teach AS and A2 Accounting A level and I can assure you that it is not easy.

Of the commercial subjects, I rate it harder than Economics and a lot harder than Business Studies.

Those who do not think it 'rigorous' enough, should have a go at studying it.

John
Original post by Harmonica69
I teach AS and A2 Accounting A level and I can assure you that it is not easy.

Of the commercial subjects, I rate it harder than Economics and a lot harder than Business Studies.

Those who do not think it 'rigorous' enough, should have a go at studying it.

John

Thank you for the reply, do I have to be really good at maths for accounting? Is there a lot of resources out there for revision?
You do not need mathematics, but you do need to be confident with arithmetic, supported by a calculator, so that should not be an issue either.

You also have to be able to write reasonably well as there are mini-essay type questions explaining accounting concepts or why somebody might be interested in a set of accounts, for instance.

The secret is to practice, practice and practice questions again and again until you can get them 100% right and quickly.

Good luck!

John
Hi John. Im an accounting teacher in south africa facing the prospect of moving to the uk. I have seen few to none jobs for accounting teachers advertised. Would you have any advice?
Reply 9
I just saw your message. lol how did you find it cuz I am gonna do my A-levels and I wanted to know how accounting is.

Quick Reply

Latest