Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Grade this answer (Of Mice and Men)

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

Explore the role and character of Candy in this novel.

Candy is a really important character in the novel. He represents alot of themes such as a loneliness, ageism and dreams.

Candy is a "swamper". He cleans up the ranch for his job. Candy is first seen introduction Lennie and George to the ranch. He says "The boss was expectin' you last night"
    We notice that Candy lost his right hand to an accident whilst working in the ranch. "I lost my right hand here on this ranch"
    This shows Candy's hopelessness in life as even though he has no hand, he has to carry on working as his life depends on it.

Furthermore, we see that Candy is very old. His character represents ageism, and the killing of his dog foreshadows what will happen to him. (He will get fired). The ranch is a place for young people and old people outlive their use, so therefore they will get "canned" "I wish someone will shoot me when i become old and useless"

In addition, Candy also represents isolation and loneliness. We know that his deceased dog was the only friend he had. Steinbeck states "His dog is his company and is equivalent of a friend" He is isolated from others because of his age, but then again, others will soon be him. Also, his character ties with the theme of loneliness as when he hears George and Lennie talk about their dream he inists on joining them and offered his live savings. "S'pose i went in with you guys thas three hundred an' fifty bucks i'd put in"

This quote represents dreams as he knows the only way he can escape the harsh reality of life is to join George and Lennie's quest to "live offa the fatta the lan" by buying their on ranch.

In conclusion, Candy was a very important character in "Of The Mice and Men" He portrayed many themes and was the first character that we met. He represented what will happen when your old and how life in ranches make you lonely and crave for a better life by dreaming.

Context of the time? Be more explicit about the ideas

you need to go into more depth in you analysis to be honest

I would grade this a D maybe an E depending on the total number of marks its out of.
    You need more interpretations. This shows that.., this illustrates that.., this can also be viewed as...
    You also need to say why Steinbeck portrayed him in this way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 21, 2016
TSR Support Team
Would you rather find
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.