Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Open University options

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I am thinking of doing a open university course in Feb 2017 and I was wondering what are people experiences of the Open University?
    What can I expect?

(Original post by thilton1)
    I am thinking of doing a open university course in Feb 2017 and I was wondering what are people experiences of the Open University?
    What can I expect?
    I've never studied with them, but you can find reviews of each module written by people who studied them on the OU website. You will also see a description of the assessment methods. Here is an example.

You will possibly have the option of attending classes occasionally in person or attending a residential school, but this differs from module to module. In general, your learning will be mostly online and self-guided. You will have access to forums where you can discuss things with other students and usually a phone/email address so you can talk to your assigned tutor. There are often Facebook groups for certain degrees now as well, though I cannot speak to their usefulness.

I'm studying with Open Uni at the moment, and I find it fits around my 30 hour job easily, hence why I chose it! It takes a lot of self discipline and self belief, but once you get into the swing of it, it's easier.
    Each module is obviously different, but in mine it includes lectures with my tutor and cluster group, which are all done online, as well as day schools you can choose to go too if you wish. My tutor is really helpful and always replies to the emails I send them quickly, and even the Facebook groups are helpful, as you get to speak to people who are doing the same module as you so it doesn't feel so alone for you!

Good luck in your studies!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.