The Student Room Group

Valium/Diazepam

Hey, has anyone been on Valium/Diazepam? If so, what did you think? Would you recommend? What did it make you feel like?

My dr has prescribed me with diazepam because I keep suffering from really severe panic attacks for no apparent reason and it's really effecting the quality of my life. For instance, I'm turning down social events in fear that I'll go and have a panic attack and make a fool of myself. (I'm a 21 year old male and most of my friends see me as outgoing and a good laugh, so the last thing I want is for them to see me having a panic attack).
I don't suffer from depression or anxiety. I just get these crazy panic attacks. (Heart racing, body shaking, blurry vision, sudden overwhelmed with panic and confusion, feel really disconnected from reality, lasts 5 - 30 minutes).

I've read up on the drug and it's had some good reviews but I've also seen that it is hard to withdraw from and you cannot drive whilst the drug is in your system as it can cause tiredness and muscle weakness.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, has anyone been on Valium/Diazepam? If so, what did you think? Would you recommend? What did it make you feel like?

My dr has prescribed me with diazepam because I keep suffering from really severe panic attacks for no apparent reason and it's really effecting the quality of my life. For instance, I'm turning down social events in fear that I'll go and have a panic attack and make a fool of myself. (I'm a 21 year old male and most of my friends see me as outgoing and a good laugh, so the last thing I want is for them to see me having a panic attack).
I don't suffer from depression or anxiety. I just get these crazy panic attacks. (Heart racing, body shaking, blurry vision, sudden overwhelmed with panic and confusion, feel really disconnected from reality, lasts 5 - 30 minutes).

I've read up on the drug and it's had some good reviews but I've also seen that it is hard to withdraw from and you cannot drive whilst the drug is in your system as it can cause tiredness and muscle weakness.

It's amazing. No, you can't drive if you feel like it's affecting your abilities (and it probably will). And yes it can be quite addictive, I have been on it for years and to be honest, can't imagine my life without it.
However, I think that xanax would be better if you suffer just from panic attacks - valium has approx 10-12 hours half life, xanax only 4-6 so personally I think it would be better. Valium is better if you suffer from anxiety. It will help with panic attacks but don't get drawn into 'it feels so amazing I want more' **** because it's an expensive habit to have....
It can be very helpful for anxiety and panic attacks. I got prescribed it originally for a fear of flying. I took it on 4 flights and felt no fear and now can fly without it as I got so used to being ok,

I've also been prescribed it for regular anxiety over mostly social situations. It didn't have the same fear-removing reaction as my flying fear but I feel a lot more confident and less anxious with social situations.

Currently taking klonopin instead for anxiety as I got a teeny bit addicted to the valium - I needed like 20mg to have any effect. Addiction is very easy but I'm guessing you've been prescribed a limited number? My psychiatrist prescribed me like 90 5mg pills with 2 refills if I needed. Probably not all that smart. I'm trying to limit the klonopin a lot more.

But yeah, it's good stuff. Good luck, I hope it helps you. :smile:
Diazepam will calm you down, except short term imo becayse its addictive. You need to deal with the root cause if you wnat long term.
It my anxiety worse in normal situations, i was so dozy and it took away my cognitive edge and I was conscious people would notice, so I only took it a couple of times in work/daylight situations.

However for evening social events, parties, clubs etc it works a treat for me with alcohol, which is apparently dangerous but I've never taken more than one at a time so nothing bad has happened.

I can see how it works for anxiety, but be weary if you drive a lot or operate machines etc as it really does make you dozy
Reply 5
I've been prescribed it for panic attacks and then for back pain for a short time in the past. In terms when I used it for panic and anxiety, it did take the edge off but it made me feel quite spacey which I didn't like. They also made me tired which was good when I took it for my back. They are OK to take in the short term but you can become addicted to them but your doctor shouldn't prescribe them often enough for that to happen.

A lot of people just take them during an awful panic attack and not during every panic which is what I would recommend. To truly manage of anxiety in every sense, you will have to sit through the unpleasant sensations it causes and I know how impossible that can seem but masking or dulling down the sensations with medication such as Valium won't cure you but they are handy in times when you can't cope. No one can expect you to the master against anxiety every time, especially at the beginning.

After experiencing panics for so long I realised there was ways to calm myself down naturally quicker than a pill could do but it takes a while to get to that stage.
Posted from TSR Mobile
I am prescribed it for as required. I try to use it as infrequently as I can because it is effective and I don't want to lose that. So, seriously a last resort if I can't think of how else to calm myself down and/or keep safe. Can affect my levels of dissociation though so have to be careful with it.

I usually don't remember much the morning after taking it which is always weird. Wipes my memory.
Reply 7
I was prescribed 5mg to take when required. It did help calm me down but I only took it when my panic attacks were particularly bad (other times I used self help techniques or herbal remedies which is what I only use now). I once took two when I was having a lot of trouble sleeping and it worked really quickly but I woke up the next day feeling like I was hungover.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest