The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Worst uni or worse med course? All medicine degrees have their standards set by the GMC and are highly regulated and therefor highly standardised in terms of end product.

The minimum entry criteria for almost all medical schools is now AAB plus a good pass in the UKCAT or BMAT. Even 'lesser' unis have these requirements. Some have 6 year courses for people from 'weak' schools, or have a slightly lower requirement for their 5 year courses (I think SGUL and PMS might be the only ones left that do this now). You can get ALL this info from the TSR wiki or the medical school websites...
Reply 2
That is my sytuation: I am from Poland, and I am studying in veterinary vocational school, I have good grades, and work exp. but on medicine course is very hard to get in, because is to many people. Which univ. offers six years course?
Reply 4
all of them are RUBBISH. :rolleyes:
Reply 5
why do these types of threeads always seem to pop up every so often?
Reply 6
moham
all of them are RUBBISH. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but especially that Manchester place, what a dump, who'd want to go there and get a worthless degree?
but a minimum is not really enough, is it? Everybody who gets a C in GCSE reaches a minimum level, but that's rubbish.

Same for medical schools - you want one that teaches proper things - no pointless stuff like learning anatomy using computers as opposed to using prosections/by dissection.
Reply 8
Well that is completely subjective. You want to go to a school that uses the methods which suit you most. There IS no one size fits all.
But I do agree that there would probably be somebody on a PBL course who knows more than me - the point is - you learn much more from a lecture-based course than a PBL one, in general.
Reply 10
But do you retain the info?

There have been many interesting studies in this area, the pivitol looked at the differences in retention of undergraduate knowledge 5 year post qualification...

Does anyone truely believe there is a difference between the learning methods? I turned down one offer simply because the thought of dull lectures was depressing. The key is matching up what a school offers to what you want.

The other thing to consider is that even the most 'hard core' of PBL courses still have MORE lectures and practicals then PBL content. The idea is to re-enforce other content by empowering students to take control of their learning. NOT to mitigate the responsibility to teach
Reply 11
tyrosine_kinase
you learn much more from a lecture-based course than a PBL one, in general.
Do you have any reason to believe this? I'll even take personal experience of a PBL course up to the stage you are currently at.

I would generally reject gossip, heresay and **** you've made up.
just seen the work that is done by one of my colleagues at another (PBL) medical school - and compared it to the lecture materials we have.
Reply 13
I'm sure that you performed this test with stringent controls and an appropriate power calculation. And, naturally, I assume that you compared schools with similar intergration/split teaching and systems/subject teaching. That's why you were able to expand so well and explain so clearly what you'd done, anyone would think that you'd done it before you started posting on here.

But, I think you may have missed something, why don't you compare the work that someone's done with the work that someone else has done?

Anyway, when I see my old mates, which is rare enough, it's generally in a pub and the only talking shop is having a whinge. I'm not enough of a **** to demand to see their work so that I can reassure myself how ****ing wonderful I am. Infact, although I have dozens of friends from other london schools, the only time I see them is through UH and mx hockey, something far more enjoyable and distinctly less ******* than talking about rankings...
Well I hate to say it really, but I've had personal insight into the St Andrews-Manchester situation, whereby the St A students have done 3 years of lecture-based studies compared with the two years of PBL carried out by Manchester students...and it has to be said, the general concensus is that St Andrews students do know a lot more regarding pharmacology, physiology, and pretty much all the medical sciences.

This seems obvious, but the surprising part is that even in 3rd year PBL classes, students from St A only really have problems with adjusting to the different style of learning as opposed to clinical knowledge. Ok, I'm not a medic, I just know quite a lot of 3rd year medics at Manchester...

...and I'm also not disputing that PBL is more than sufficient for practising as a doctor upon qualification, but when the argument is over knowledge, I'm gonna go with traditionalism here I'm afraid.

As a disclaimer also, it depends on the learning capabilities of the students more so than the style of teaching.
Reply 15
tyrosine_kinase
just seen the work that is done by one of my colleagues at another (PBL) medical school - and compared it to the lecture materials we have.

But that is just refering it to how you work. Maybe you do work better with lecture based content that doesn't mean that someone else might work equally well with PBL.
Reply 16
dagak
That is my sytuation: I am from Poland, and I am studying in veterinary vocational school, I have good grades, and work exp. but on medicine course is very hard to get in, because is to many people. Which univ. offers six years course?

Surely you should be making a decision between Veterinary Medicine and human Medicine? I've seen your posts on the veterinary forum, you've got a lot of work experience but don't expect there to be an "easy" medical school to get into if you don't get into vet school. There isn't one.

Latest

Trending

Trending