Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Which Masters Should I Do?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

After this current summer holiday I will be going into my fourth year doing my BSc Psychology with Management degree. I really enjoy learning, and I'm predicted a first in my degree, so I know that I definitely want to continue on to a masters once I have graduated. However, I really don't know what I want to study.
    Here are some of the subjects I have considered;
    Part of me wants to do criminology, as I'm fascinated by the subject area, but I'll be honest, money is a big factor to me in my future job, and I feel that unless I do a forensic psychology course (which is out of the question for me as I suck at any kind of biology and chemistry), the jobs I could get as a result are fairly limited.
    I could continue on to more psychology, but although I have enjoyed learning about psychology, I feel like I'm kind of done with it now. I would like to use it in future studies, but in terms of studying straight psychology, I no longer have an interest.
    I could also study marketing and PR, which is a sure-fire way to get a job at the end of it, but it really doesn't interest or excite me.
    Lastly, I could do a masters in something I'm really interested in, such as Chinese history, but I am highly unlikely to get a job from it, and I'm not particularly interested in becoming a researcher.
    I know this is very contradictory, but I was just wondering if anyone had been in the same position. If so, did you go for something practical, or did you go with your heart so to speak and do a subject you were passionate about?

I can relate to your dilemma. When you have a diverse range of interests it can be hard to narrow it down for the purposes of choosing a masters.

It's important to be aware that you can only get the student loan for one masters. However, having said that, if you are passionate about studying on a general basis there is nothing to stop you keeping this up part time (possibly distance learning) whilst working.

You could take a gap year to have a think about it but this may not give you an answer.

I have always used masters study to diversify. If you current degree is sufficient to open doors in the relevant subject areas it could be worth doing a masters in a different subject.

I personally don't believe that education is ever a waste. Studying a subject is as much about personal and intellectual development as much as it is about preparing to go out and make money from it.

Just read your post again. If you're most passionate about Chinese History then go for it

I would suggest you spend some time figuring out what you would like to do career-wise first before you commit your time, effort and finances pursuing another course which potentially adds nothing to your professional CV. Yes, learning is good and beneficial, but masters courses are such a big investment that choosing to do one 'just because you like studying' seems quite a poor justification, IMO. If you have admissions interviews you could be asked about your interest in the subject, your rationale for studying that particular course, how it will help with your goals.

After graduation why not do some MOOC learning while you figure out your career goals and get some work experience? That might help you decide which areas you want to do a masters in later. Whatever you decide to do, good luck!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.