The Student Room Group

Northampton university forced to apologise

Anyone on hear considering northahampton uni?. Disabled?. Be careful. It took me a year and a half to go through through their complaints procedure to no avail. The OIA have ruled my complaint to be part justified and ordered the university to apoligise and pay me 1000. I didnt finish my degree and have 4000 debt. I am considering breach of contract as out of time to lodge a proven case of disability discrim claim. Watch this space. The uni has been ordered to review its handling of disabled students to ensure it adheares to advise from its own Assist team and 2010 equlities law in future. Anyone else on here succesfuly gone to OIA and taken their case to court for breach of contract or judicial review?
Reply 1
Congratulations on getting your complaint partly justified. The problem is that the OIA never seem to pay out anywhere near enough to make up for the damage done.

There was an article about this in the Times Higher Education called "Universities don't fear the OIA. It would be better if they did".

Also there is criticism of how the OIA use the term Partly Justified to explain a result which is almost wholly in the students favour. See "Student Satisfaction with the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education" on the OIA website.

What did you decide to do in the end?

I don't have experience of judicial review, however, contrary to what most people think, there is at least one higher education law solicitor firm that has a legal aid contract for judicial review. I know there are strict time limits to adhere to though. I recommend asking a solicitors to inform you of your options.
Thank you for being honest, Northampton University have a proven track record of disability discrimination, I have just received a Justified complaint against them for failing to follow their own procedures but the OIA ruled that it had no 'monetary value' and simply ruled that they had to reorganise another 'panel' to decide if I could be offered reasonable adjustments. The OIA were provided so many details of how Northampton University have defrauded me and the tax payer out of thousands of pounds for a degree that I could not obtain. I have made the Government aware of what is going on, as the OIA are willing choosing to ignore fraud, deception, breaking of UK Law and disability discrimination. This is now time to bring this scandal out in the public domain and I am willing to do this because so many students and there are not all young people are having their lives ruined by establishments such as Northampton University and by the OIA, this scandal is as big as the Jimmy Saville and the maternity scandal that was in the press just yesterday, 11/12/2020. People in authority are complicit with abuse and the Government know, this is truly shameful and needs a public audience. PLEASE anyone considering Northampton University, don't it is a terrible place and they simply will hurt you, they lie, they cheat, they manipulate and they falsify documents lying to External verifiers to try to obtain more course fee by deception .
I'm disappointed to hear that - sounds like it must have been immensly difficult to get through. If the decision is justified then wouldn't you have received some compensation for the pain and suffering you went through? There're not many options post student watchdog. Perhaps you can get the complaint reopened? Is there any clear bungling on their part?

Latest