Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone else feel like their GP doesn't know what they're doing?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Maybe I'm just being stupid/arrogant/naive but I've seen a few different GPs for mental health problems, and we just seem to be cycling through whatever antidepressants they're able to prescribe me. They generally don't give any advice or tell me about the meds, they just give me the script and send me away. I often feel like I know more about the drugs they're prescribing than they do.

I feel like GPs are too generalized to deal with mental health, or maybe they just don't get enough education in it since it's a newer field.

99% of GPs I have been to have been the exact same when I have went to them for mental health problems. They still want to prescribe me pills despite me taking a bad turn on them in the past plus my OCD contamination fears of everything I swallow being laced or poisoned. They still prescribe them willy nilly and don't describe possible side effects and most GPs didn't even give me advice or info on what my conditions actually are. I learned everything I know about my conditions from my own research into it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 1, 1970
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.