The Student Room Group

Is anyone else scared for the English lit exam tomorrow?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saf_99
I haven't revised either i'm only stuck on of mice and men i don't know what to do today! how long should i spend on of mice and men in the exam (edexcel gcse)?

Just look into the historical context of various characters and themes in the book as you're assessed on this, maybe you could make some essay starters for each one, to save you some time in the exam?
And you're advised to spend 45 minutes on it :smile:
For the anthology, looking at what hasn't come up in a while its likely to be 100% Perfect Girl and either My Polish Teacher's Tie or Something Old, Something New.

Good luck guys :smile:
Reply 62
i haven't started revising yet but what sort of things should i be looking at and learning?
Hello everyone, is their quotes I should make sure I remember for AIC and OMAM?
mans calm for the exam, hopefully exams gonna be easy. bun revision, im gonna go bun some weed wid my bredrin
Anyone do To Kill A Mockingbird or Journey's End?
Reply 66
Does anyone know if you have to use quotes for part b (AQA)? Could you get away with it if you didn't?
Reply 67
Original post by khall16
My teacher thinks that for Mockingbird it could be Dill, Calpurnia or Aunt Alexandra, for the character and Education or Justice for the theme. But that's just going off the fact that those haven't come up before, and so far there haven't been any repeats. She didn't suggest any for Animal Farm though. How about you?

I'm hoping its Aunt Alexandra bc ive done a ton of practice essays on her but we were told it could also be 'explore the significance of minor characters' or something like that which is a bit more open to choice

For AF we were told that for the theme bit (b and c) it could be to do with intelligence/education or memory/remembering
Original post by luciie
Does anyone know if you have to use quotes for part b (AQA)? Could you get away with it if you didn't?

I think you do - or I always do anyway :smile:
Not memorising any but I'll probably find a few random ones in the exam :redface:
Reply 69
This might sound so stupid but for anyone who does AQA OMAM (and possibly Edexcel i don't know) it might not even be a character(s) it might even be the setting or imagery used by Steinbeck so just be prepared don't just focus your revision solely on characters that haven't come up in the past. Plus what's to say they won't repeat a character with a different extract or question? (they have done that before with Curley's wife) Just be prepared. They are getting harder this year, remember that! But don't panic you'll be fine! Mine's tomorrow as well! :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😭 kill me.
Original post by 123moon
This might sound so stupid but for anyone who does AQA OMAM it might not even be a character(s) it might even be the setting or imagery used by Steinbeck so just be prepared don't just focus your revision solely on characters that haven't come up in the past. Plus what's to say they won't repeat a character with a different extract or question? Just be prepared. They are getting harder this year, remember that!

If they repeat characters that would be easy as there are markschemes for those characters. ( A theme is always an option ofc)
Reply 72
Original post by SilverWater
If they repeat characters that would be easy as there are markschemes for those characters. ( A theme is always an option ofc)

That is true however many people may just ignore the fact that some characters have been used before and may just cast them off. But also remember that there are mark schemes for everything and it may not even be a character and could be a setting/imagery for example to describe the ranch etc. but yes your point is valid. :smile:

Just do not focus on one particular character and revise everything so you are not caught on any examiners tricks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 73
What are things about Carlson to say?.. everyone is saying he or Candy will come up
Reply 74
Original post by Raqped
For OMAM, what themes are you guys doing for Slim?
I have Power, Morality, Loneliness and Leadership but I can't seem to think of a fifth one
Thanks!

how are morality and loneliness shown, could you help me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NiamhM1801
Animal farm is so much harder to predict due to the fact that they give you an extract.
However I think that there's a strong chance that Napoleon will come up, as it's been quite a while since he has. That'd be a nice exam tbh.
The other 2 question parts really depend on the extract that we're given tbh

In animal farm it may be Squealer as he hasn't come up yet. I really hope the theme is manipulation or intelligence.
For OMAM I hope it's slim
Original post by tomo_nufc
In animal farm it may be Squealer as he hasn't come up yet. I really hope the theme is manipulation or intelligence.
For OMAM I hope it's slim

Completely forgot about Squealer! And yes those will be great themes too, might actually be able to answer the questions then :redface:

I hope it's not Slim for OMAM as I know nothing about him. I'd much prefer Curley's wife but she didn't come up that long ago, we did the one with her in as an in-class mock and I got 34/40
I don't think it is best to do about just one character in the question- I'm going for the themes question because you can talk about a lot of characters...easier to pick quotes
Reply 78
Just look into the historical context of various characters and themes in the book as you're assessed on this, maybe you could make some essay starters for each one, to save you some time in the exam?

Thanks soo much its helping get a better understanding of the novel and getting me motivated to do more. I'm going to attempt a past paper and see how it goes GOOD LUCK FOR UR EXAMS! :smile:

of course man, of mice and men is gonna be difficult but...NiamhM...(?) is right that look at historical context and pray....i aint lying...pray :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending