The Student Room Group

Grad schools for msc/ma in econs

Hi,

I am entering into my final year this September. As such, I will be applying to a few masters programmes in and around November when most applications open. I am expected to graduate with first class honours (awarded by UOL). My ultimate goal is to enter into a US top 20-40 economics PhD programme. I have decided that pursuing a masters in a renowned institute will boost my chances. I will be taking the GRE prior to applying.

Due to some constraints, I can only apply to 5 schools for my masters.

The schools I'm considering are as follows:

CEMFI - Econ
BGSE - Econ
PSE - APE
LSE - EME
Bocconi - Econs
UT-Austin - Econs
Duke - Econs
UBC - Econs
U Toronto - Econs

Since I can't exactly afford the tuition to study overseas (I'm from Southeast Asia), I favour programmes that offer generous tuition waivers based on merit(like CEMFI and BGSE). These are the few programmes that I've come across thus far that fit the bill. Duke feels more like a reach for me but it'll be fantastic if I get in with some form of partial funding.

The reason why I'm applying to LSE is because my degree programme receives academic direction from the LSE, and hence, makes it easier to get in with a first class. My school also offers a full scholarship there, for the top few students, although betting on that alone is quite risky.

Are there any schools that I've missed out?
Which 5 schools should I apply to?

I would really appreciate any and all feedback.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Not too useful of a suggestion, but I've read a lot about Bocconi giving out GMAT merit based scholarships. When you say UoL I assume you mean University of London? (quite a foreign concept to us English as generally we only know the individual universities). So if you manage to crack the GRE + achieve a good 2nd year grade, definitely one to strongly consider if you're looking for a free ride.

Have you checked out Stockholm? Not sure about the international situation, but its free for us EU's so could be worth a look.
Reply 2
Original post by StefanG
Not too useful of a suggestion, but I've read a lot about Bocconi giving out GMAT merit based scholarships. When you say UoL I assume you mean University of London? (quite a foreign concept to us English as generally we only know the individual universities). So if you manage to crack the GRE + achieve a good 2nd year grade, definitely one to strongly consider if you're looking for a free ride.

Have you checked out Stockholm? Not sure about the international situation, but its free for us EU's so could be worth a look.

Yes, the University of London. It has its international programme, with academic direction from the lse. With regards to the gre, i should be able to get 160+ quant.

Hmm, I'll check out Stockholm. My main concern is the placement ability. Not many programmes place students in top PhD programmes + have generous funding.
Reply 3
Hey I'm also from South-East Asia. I'll be attending Nottingham this year for Economics and think you should try it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thanks for the suggestion. I've looked up Nottingham and they don't seem to have very good placement records.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending