The Student Room Group

Bored first date?

What's the most boring first date you've had? How did you keep conversations flowing but didn't turn the date into an interview?
Tbh I've never had a boring first date. I've had rubbish ones but they were more entertaining than anything.
Original post by Anonymous
What's the most boring first date you've had? How did you keep conversations flowing but didn't turn the date into an interview?

Oh God it was awful. It was a blind date and we went for a picnic in the park. I could see he was clearly not interested. I thought "maybe it will get better". It didn't. I cracked open a bottle of wine - but he was a teetotaller so I got blisteringly drunk. We were sat under a tree and all these caterpillars kept falling on me - a fact I did not realise until later when I found them in my underwear. I kept asking him about his job and what he liked doing and got one word answers. He asked me nothing and just kept looking into the distance.

He just scoffed the picnic that I paid for and departed. He had the cheek to send me an email later saying he didn't think there was any spark there! Blinking Einstein eh!
Original post by Anonymous

Successful conversations rely on a few things, at least for me

Humour: this can be puns, one liners, references to pop culture/news, pointing out funny stuff you see, dry humour, sarcasm, playful insults or any other form of joking to make each other laugh

Flirting: ofc its the 1st date but you can still be a little bold and compliment what they wore at least and ask

where they got it
when they got it
how they got it etc etc

Interested: Just ask questions about them (since youre in a date youre testing the water after all) and ask about where they learnt stuff, what they do at work/school/holidays

About yourself: A key difference to an interview is you talk about yourself, sure youre asking tons of questions and learning stuff about them but make sure you tell them about you too, it can be done through anecdotes, a little self deprivation or just blatantly saying stuff

(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending