Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

How to get an A* in English literature

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

My English teacher left a few weeks ago and since then we have had a sub and she's not that good, and I am freaking out

I am so scared for this test but just try to remember context for part b and for part a always try an give more than one analysis for one word/quote (the shorter the better)

is this AQA IGCSE?

All I am doing is for each section im doing 3 to 5 main paragraphs (depending on the question) and in each paragraph signpost it in relation to what the question is (eg "Firstly, the author presents injustice.."). Then I would embed quotes when you write them, so it flows when you read it, then talk about what the quote generally means, on a literal level. After this, point out some language terminology if you can (eg: cacophonic alliteration, metaphor etc). Talk about why the writer has chosen this. Do some word level analysis, chose some words in the quote and explain what they mean, what connotations they have, impact on the reader/audience and maybe link it to the author's purpose if you can. Also, link to context for section b, and then after explaining the context link it back in to the quote. Once all of that is done, link back to the question and signpost your next paragraph
    Make sure you have an introduction and conclusion and multiple interpretations of quotes, if you can.
    Hope this helped and good luck!!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 22, 2016
TSR Support Team
Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.