The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol University for a shy girl?

I have firmed Bristol Uni- whenever I mention this to people they make faces at me as though its a weird decision and only for party animals and it scares me so much. Are there any shy people you know who went to Bristol? Will it be tough to find someone a bit more timid, that likes to stay in most (not all!) nights?

Are people generally every outgoing?? Also, any hall suggestions? I've put Badock as my firm, but I've read a LOT of drugs and experimenting (? lol) goes on there.

My insurance is Bath and im contemplating calling up UCAS to switch but I'm not sure. It's giving me anxiety and i can't focus on exams because I'm so worried about where I'll spend the next four years..
I only know one person who goes to Bristol uni but she seems really nice :smile: Bristol is a lovely city, I'm sure you're not gonna regret your decision
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 3
I think this might need moving into the Bristol Uni forum where you would get better answers, OP.

@Deyesy @furryface12
Reply 4
Original post by Airmed
I think this might need moving into the Bristol Uni forum where you would get better answers, OP.

@Deyesy @furryface12

Sorted :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I have firmed Bristol Uni- whenever I mention this to people they make faces at me as though its a weird decision and only for party animals and it scares me so much. Are there any shy people you know who went to Bristol? Will it be tough to find someone a bit more timid, that likes to stay in most (not all!) nights?

Are people generally every outgoing?? Also, any hall suggestions? I've put Badock as my firm, but I've read a LOT of drugs and experimenting (? lol) goes on there.

My insurance is Bath and im contemplating calling up UCAS to switch but I'm not sure. It's giving me anxiety and i can't focus on exams because I'm so worried about where I'll spend the next four years..

Don't let people stop you from going where you want. There different types of people in Bristol and you will enjoy it there. If you don't mind me asking what do you want to study there?

I've firmed Bristol too and I'm literally the same as you. I'm pretty shy and timid but once I get to know people, I'm fine. I'm pretty worried about the same but I'm trying to think positively about it. I'm most nervous about halls and living with people I don't know :/
Original post by JessLeigh97
I've firmed Bristol too and I'm literally the same as you. I'm pretty shy and timid but once I get to know people, I'm fine. I'm pretty worried about the same but I'm trying to think positively about it. I'm most nervous about halls and living with people I don't know :/

Have you picked any halls yet? I'm so confused because everything in Bristol seems to come with a strong sterotype..
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8

is this a serious question lol?

You are an adult. You can be as outgoing or anti-social as you want to be, and in a place with tens of thousands of people like a uni, no doubt you will find people like you and that you get along with.

Original post by JessLeigh97

I'm at UoB. Yeah it's a very lively place, big clubbing culture/etc. I've never dug any of that stuff myself, but never had any trouble avoiding it. Certainly wouldn't take that as any reason to switch to Bath myself (It's just a bit irritating that most of the course socials here are just **** clubbing events)

Also when you apply to halls, UoB tries to match you with people with similar interests based on a ~100 word statement you give. If you are strongly introverted/like your own space I would recommend looking at studios instead of flatshare (that goes for any university).

~edit, OP, just noticed you've already applied for halls. Badock does have quite a reputation as you described it. I'd try and change that choice if that bothers you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChronicBoredom
Have you picked any halls yet? I'm so confused because everything in Bristol seems to come with a strong sterotype..

I applied for Orchard Heights for my first choice and New Bridewell for my second. Just have to remember that stereotypes are just stereotypes and probably only account for a small number of people. Which halls are you thinking of applying to or have applied to?
Reply 11

Guess we're pretty similar - last year I firmed Bristol and had Bath as insurance for Economics.
The only reason I went for Bristol was that 2nd and 3rd year accommodation is closer to the campus and city than at Bath, where you will likely have to take a bus for 2/3 years. The courses looked similar and I didn't even look at social aspects.

I didn't go out on freshers at all and am not really outgoing.

For accommodation, if you've already made your choice then I'm unsure if you can change it but there are halls that have a reputation for being more quiet (e.g. richmond terrace &co) and when you apply for accomm there is a section to describe yourself, you can say you don't want to be with party animals and you have a small chance of them listening to you.

But be aware, whether you get stuck with party animals is a first year thing, you choose your friends in the 2/3/4th years.

And your flatmates are pretty random at both uni's, can't control that.

5/7 people in my flat were party people but they could tell I wasn't and left me to it, we didn't have any conflict at all and got along well.

Overall Bath seemed very quiet but I would focus on course quality and what matters to you.

Although there is one thing that solves all of this!:
Try not to care about what other people think - it makes life so much easier.
Personally, I don't think you should base your uni decision thinking you won't fit in, university is massive you're bound to find someone like you. Just be yourself, don't do anything you don't want to people don't care

Hello, just wondering where did you decide to go in the end? And how are you finding it?

I'm in a similar situation, I'm choosing between firming Bristol or Southampton.

The course etc is better at Bristol and Southampton isn't far behind it.
I am extremely shy and will worry that the tutorials/seminars etc at Bristol will be too intimidating for me as the groups are large?
And whilst the place is super pretty it's also extremely daunting and I'm worried that everyone on my course/accommodation/societies will be extrovert and really confident!
And I'd find it hard to make friends or be confident during fieldwork or tutorials/seminars.

Whereas if I pick Southampton I'd feel more comfortable knowing I'll be less intimidated by the people. Yet I know the course isn't as good and that it has less reputation than Bristol?

Do you think I should go for the comfy option or the option I'll struggle through but end up enjoying? I don't want to regret my decision :redface:

(sorry I rambled!) :tongue:
Hi,

To anyone considering Bristol but a little worried about whether it is right for you, I have lived in Bristol all my life, studied here and work here. Bristol is a fantastic city (apart from the traffic!), with plenty to do for 'extroverts', but also a great place to relax for those of us who are not into pubbing/clubbing etc. Working at New Bridewell, I can tell you that we see a real mix of students, there are those who do like to go out and party but equally as many, if not more, who prefer a quieter approach to university life (as well as those who like to study 24/7!).

While it is not something the university are keen to do at the drop of a hat, my experience is that they have been very accommodating in offering alternatives for those people who have not gelled with their housemates but this has been a fairly uncommon occurrence as they seem to be quite successful in placing like-minded people together.

Scott.
Do yer work and knuckle down and there wont be any problem.
Everyone will be new, sure some will be outgoing but at the end of the day your cohort is not based on any of the ones that have been to Bristol and have left. There's no telling what everyone will be like but you can be sure there will be a range, don't you give some information when you apply for accommodation? Hopefully you'll be put with some with similar interests that you can get along with.

All the best, exams are what's important right now. :smile:
There will be a lot devoted students aswell. Bristol isn't just about those slutting it in MBargo.
Dw guys I'm a bristol second year. I was in Badock last year and its a great vibe, literally nothing to worry about. There's always gonna be people like who struggle with the party animal lifestyle, but the people here are so welcoming and friendly. I was a bit like you, but I managed to find wicked friends who I now live with. Bristol was the the best decision I ever made.
I live in Bristol. The number of smelly hippies/druggies with dreadlocks in the town center is quite high.

Bristolians are friendly though. Everyone smiles and says hi. Nothing like London (disgusting place).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending