The Student Room Group

How do I find fast track A levels? (Midlands!)

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has any information or ideas on the 1 year A level courses that exist?

I'm 24, currently doing an Access to HE, however the course I'm looking at is very competitive and I'm looking at A levels as a back up plan.

Does anybody know anywhere that offers these, or how you can track them down (that aren't private colleges costing an arm and a leg!)? I'm based in Staffordshire.

Reply 1
Original post by seize_the_day
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has any information or ideas on the 1 year A level courses that exist?

I'm 24, currently doing an Access to HE, however the course I'm looking at is very competitive and I'm looking at A levels as a back up plan.

Does anybody know anywhere that offers these, or how you can track them down (that aren't private colleges costing an arm and a leg!)? I'm based in Staffordshire.

I would check with your target uni(s) before spending any more time going the A Level route. I suspect that extra A Levels are unlikely to give you an edge. If you get poor or mediocre Access results, you cannot wipe those out by then taking/retaking A Levels - you would still have to declare both on your UCAS application.

Besides, many unis actually prefer Access qualifications from mature students - they are a more uni-style study experience than A Levels and can be a better indicator of uni-level potential. When even Cambridge accepts Access qualifications, they can't really be viewed as non-competitive.
Original post by Klix88
I would check with your target uni(s) before spending any more time going the A Level route. I suspect that extra A Levels are unlikely to give you an edge. If you get poor or mediocre Access results, you cannot wipe those out by then taking/retaking A Levels - you would still have to declare both on your UCAS application.

Besides, many unis actually prefer Access qualifications from mature students - they are a more uni-style study experience than A Levels and can be a better indicator of uni-level potential. When even Cambridge accepts Access qualifications, they can't really be viewed as non-competitive.

Thanks for the response :smile:

Cambridge do indeed, however only for certain courses. I'm looking at vet med, which the majority of unis still don't accept Access, or if they do they are very picky over the content of the course. Mine is to a good standard, so it isn't an attempt to clear it from my record, however it still doesn't give me a point of entry for the vast majority of vet schools.

It does for a couple, but if those don't come through I'm looking for another avenue; the most widely accepted is A level :smile:
It is very difficult to find places willing to let people study A-levels past the age of 19, never mind tailored fast track courses - even when you're willing to pay. This means that you can either do ATHE (Which is what you're doing) or distance learning courses (Which generally tend to be expensive - like 500+ an A level for the study material & then you need to sort out your own exams)

In my opinion ATHE is the best way for a mature student to go to university, but if you want to do A levels to get onto a uni course my advice is to study the A levels in your own time. For STEM subjects there is a wealth of study material online, I've managed to teach myself AS & A2 chemistry in 3 1/2 months using nothing but a few secondhand textbooks from amazon, YouTube videos and various free online learning resources - the only part that cost money/was tedious was finding a place to do my practical exams. Learning solo is actually much better because there is no distractions, you can study whenever you like and you can learn in your own style - so long as you have covered everything in the syllabus and fully understand it there is no reason why you can't do as well as somebody who has studied at a college/learning center etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Can't you just pay to sit the exam and study privately for it?
Original post by Tom__
Can't you just pay to sit the exam and study privately for it?

You can.

Cost tends to be about £75 per exam. It needs some discipline but can be done. Did it myself last year.
Original post by seize_the_day
Hi all,

Hi there oxford online study for A levels for a fast track online study one
think its called oxford learning online hun google it and you should find it

Quick Reply

Latest