Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do some girls not offer to pay on dates because they think the guy earns more?

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

Just wanted to ask a question to the general population:

Are there some girls out there who don't offer to pay on dates if they think the guy earns more than they do? I'm having trouble distinguishing between that and just girls who kind of expect to be treated.

The thing is that I work in finance which is stereotyped as being a role that makes you rich (and to slightly exploit that aura, I've featured it in my dating profiles) however I'm very far from buying Porsches with my bonus or anything like that.

However in that period I've kind of noticed that girls who do jobs that generally pay less than finance (not that a salary comparison ever comes up in conversation or anything like that) rarely if ever offer to pay. On the other hand a few lawyers I've dated (i.e also ones who earn a good salary) always insist on paying their share and do.

Am I just letting myself be taken advantage of? I don't mind paying for dates and even more than she does but it is not a cheap activity and I would like them to contribute too if they are earning money of their own.

Wow-never thought of that as a girl...but I always insists on paying halfsies on a date-or sometimes if my meal costs more-than I would defo pay for it...I know some girls dont because of the normal "guy pays on date" stereotype...
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.